Simplest possible light sensor relative calibration

In summary: But, in general, light propagates through optical fibers at a finite speed, so some of the light will be lost along the way.
john824
I am looking for way how to do relative calibration of light sensor (PMT). I would appreciate any suggestions or links to sources with description how to do it in very simple (understand also cheap if possible) way.

For example. Let say that I have integration sphere with two outpust. I have two optical cables connecting to sphere. Let's assume that those two cables are identical. Optical cable enlight PMT sensor from some distance in black box. I can measure light characterstics by PMT (not calibrated). With distribution maximum at point I_max_one_source.

If I connect two cables from integration sphere to black box, playing role of two very close sources, should I see 2 times more pulses on PMT? So will I see distribution with maximum at point

I_max_two_sources = 2 x I_max_one_source?

Any other way or suggestions how to do simple calbration are appreciated.

Thanks for answers to naive questions from beginner in the field.

Science news on Phys.org
If the sources are close enough to give two times the light intensity at the position of the PMT, then you can get approximately twice the pulse rate. Not exactly due to the dead time of the PMT.

Thank you for answer.

If laser light (green one for example) will be used as input to integration sphere (as light source), what hapend to output (from integration sphere) light wavelenght? Output wavelength(s) will be simmilar or same or different (how much?) to laser wavelength?

Is there something that would change the frequency of the light? I don't know the setup.

I am not sure, because that, let me ask in diffrent way - my questions then are:

Can integrating sphere change wavelength? I suppose no, but because I am beginner, I would like to ask it.
Can optical cable change wavelength?

There is nothing more, just air in black box and integrating sphere. So in simple setup without anything else I am not expecting change of wavelength. Could you confirm it?

(Significant) frequency shifts come from materials only - and you need special materials for that. Light passing through vacuum or air will simply keep its frequency.
The wavelength in a medium depends on the local speed of light within, but once the light leaves the material it goes back to its initial value if no frequency shift occured.

Thank you.

Another question. Output from integrating sphere will be carried in-by optical fiber cable. Is there reduction of light intensity in cable? So if cable will be let say 1, 10 cm and 100 cm long should be any reduction expected?

john824 said:
Is there reduction of light intensity in cable?
No cable is completely loss-free. The loss (as function of the light frequency) should be given in the datasheet of the cable.

Related to Simplest possible light sensor relative calibration

1. What is a "Simplest possible light sensor relative calibration"?

A "Simplest possible light sensor relative calibration" is a method used to compare the performance of different light sensors by determining their relative sensitivity to light.

2. How does the calibration process work?

The calibration process involves exposing the light sensors to a known light source and measuring the output of each sensor. This data is then used to determine the relative sensitivity of each sensor.

3. What equipment is needed for this type of calibration?

The only equipment needed for this type of calibration is the light sensors, a known light source, and a measuring device such as a multimeter or data logger.

4. Why is it important to calibrate light sensors?

Calibrating light sensors is important because it ensures that the sensors are accurately measuring light levels. This is especially important in scientific experiments or industrial settings where precise measurements are necessary.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Simplest possible light sensor relative calibration" method?

Yes, there are some limitations to this method. It may not be as accurate as more complex calibration methods and it may not be suitable for certain types of light sensors. It is best used for quick comparisons between sensors rather than precise measurements.