Skin effect derivation and plotting in Matlab

In summary, Jason identified a conceptual problem with the way he was writing the Maxwell equations and explained why the magnitude of the current is more important than the phase.
RGann
This is driving me crazy. The derivation of the current distribution in a long cylindrical wire is extremely straightforward, giving
[tex]J(r) = J(a) \frac{J_0(k r)}{J_0(k a)}[/tex]
where [itex]J[/itex] is the current density, [itex]a[/itex] is the radius of the wire, and [itex]k[/itex] is the complex wave vector, which in a metal (with nearly no permittivity) is given by
[tex]k^2 \approx -i \omega \mu \sigma[/tex]
[itex]J_0[/itex] is the Bessel function of order zero. These expressions match several books I've checked. But when I try to plot the current distribution for, say, copper in Matlab, it doesn't look like the plot in my book. The code is
Code:
mu = 1.2566290e-6;
sigma = 5.96e7;
omega = 2*pi*1e4; %10 kHz
a = .05;
k = sqrt(-1i*omega*mu*sigma);
r=0:.0001:.01;
J = besselj(0,k*r)/besselj(0,k*a);
rej = real(J);
plot(r,rej)
The plot is attached. Is this correct? It doesn't seem to match the Wikipedia plot either. Does the current actually dip negative? It is otherwise qualitatively right, in that all of the current is concentrated near the edge, but I thought the max was at the very edge. What am I missing here?

Thanks

Attachments

• SkinEffect.png
    SkinEffect.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 853
Physics news on Phys.org
Two things:
1) you are only plotting out to r=0.01, instead of all the way to the outer edge of the wire (r=a)
2) you are plotting only the real part of the current. If you plot the magnitude of the current I think you will find that it is monotonically increasing out to the edge of the wire.

jason

Likes 1 person
Good catch, you have identified my conceptual problem. When I start out, I have the Maxwell equations, namely

[tex]\nabla \times \vec{H} = \vec{J} + \frac{\partial \vec{D}}{\partial t} \quad \quad \nabla \times \vec{E} = -\frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t}[/tex]

Then I write that [itex]\partial\vec{B}/\partial t = i \omega \vec{B}[/itex]. That would imply that I need to take the real part of [itex]J[/itex] at the end, because I'm using [itex]e^{i \omega t}[/itex] instead of [itex]\cos \omega t[/itex]. But the correct answer is to take the magnitude, that is [itex]|J|[/itex]. Could you explain why this is the correct thing to do? What significance does that have?

The magnitude tells you how much current is flowing; the phase tells you phase shift as a function of radius. I would expect the phase to go through 2 pi phase shift for every wavelength in the wire (check out the real part of k to determine the effective wavelength in the wire). Note that the average power dissipated due to Ohmic losses is
[tex]
\frac{1}{2} \Re \int \mathbf{J \cdot E^\ast}\, dV = \frac{1}{2 \sigma} \int |\mathbf{J}|^2 \, dv
[/tex]
since E and J are in phase. So it really is the magnitude of J that you probably care most about.

jason

Likes 1 person
Just thought about this post again - there are cases where you DO care about the phase of J. In particular, if you want to compute the impedance (per unit length) then you need the complex current density. In the case of the wire you do find that the impedance is complex - since it has a resistance and inductance per unit length.

jason

ok, so the wrinkle is that J(r) gives information not just about current but about the phase of the current at that location, and that at a given r it is not the same at adjacent points. This is a result of dropping the time dependence out explicitly. Brilliant, thanks.

Related to Skin effect derivation and plotting in Matlab

1. What is skin effect and how does it affect electrical conductors?

Skin effect is a phenomenon in which high frequency currents tend to flow more on the surface of a conductor rather than through its entire cross-section. This is due to the skin depth, which is the distance from the surface of the conductor at which the current density is reduced to 37% of its value at the surface. Skin effect can cause an increase in resistance and decrease in effective cross-sectional area of the conductor, leading to power loss and inefficiency in electrical systems.

2. How is skin effect calculated and derived in Matlab?

In Matlab, skin effect can be calculated using the skin depth formula: δ=√(2/(μσf)), where μ is the magnetic permeability, σ is the electrical conductivity, and f is the frequency of the current. This formula can be derived from Maxwell's equations and the boundary conditions for electromagnetic fields at the surface of a conductor.

3. Can skin effect be plotted in Matlab?

Yes, skin effect can be plotted in Matlab by using the skin depth formula to calculate the depth at different frequencies and plotting it against the cross-sectional area of the conductor. This will show how the skin depth changes with frequency and how it affects the effective cross-sectional area of the conductor.

4. How can skin effect be minimized in electrical systems?

Skin effect can be minimized by using conductors with larger cross-sectional areas, as this reduces the resistance and increases the effective area for current flow. Additionally, using conductors made of materials with higher electrical conductivity can also help reduce skin effect. Another way to minimize skin effect is to use stranded conductors instead of solid ones, as this increases the effective surface area for current flow.

5. What are some real-world applications of skin effect and its derivation in Matlab?

Skin effect and its derivation in Matlab are important for understanding and designing high-frequency electrical systems, such as radio communication systems, power transmission lines, and high-speed data transfer cables. It is also relevant in the design of antennas and circuit boards, where high frequency currents are commonly used. Understanding skin effect can help engineers optimize the design of these systems for efficiency and minimize power loss.