Sky colour explanation by scattering

In summary, the color of the sky appears blue due to the effect of Rayleigh scattering, where blue light is scattered more than other colors due to its shorter wavelength. Our eyes are more sensitive to blue than violet, hence the blue appearance. At sunset, the sun is far away and most of the blue light is scattered away, leaving red as the dominant color. In space, there are no molecules to scatter light, resulting in a dark appearance. Clouds appear white because they contain large water molecules that scatter white light of different wavelengths equally. "Scattering more effective" means a greater proportion of incident light is scattered, not necessarily with greater intensity. The sky color is a mixture of many colors and the sun's spectrum is not flat,
lockerman2007
I have done a little research on the internet and I would like to ask my concept is correct or not.

1) Sky is blue
As the effect of rayleigh scattering is more effective for shorter wavelength, blue light scatter more than others (e.g. red). Furthermore, our eyes are more sensitive to blue than violet, so the sky is appeared to be blue.

2) Sky is at sunset
At sunset, the sun is far away and sunlight has to travel for a long distance to our eyes, most of the blue light scattered away and the intensity of blue light become very low, while red is less scattered, so red colour is dominant.

3) space is dark
As space is vacuum, no molecules responsble for scattering, so it is dark.

4) cloud is white
cloud contains large water molecules and mie scattering dominates. As mie scattering is not strongly dependent on waveleght, so the water molecules just scatter the white light of different wavelength in similar extent, so it is white.

By the way, I would like to ask what is the meaning of "scattering is more effective" ? It means the light intensity is larger after scattering or the light scattering in a "wider direction" ?

Thank you

Science news on Phys.org
Item 2 is somewhat in error. The distance to the sun is not a factor (compared to 1). The effect is primarily the result of the distance of sunlight through the atmosphere is greater at sunset or sunrise than at noon.

lockerman2007 said:
By the way, I would like to ask what is the meaning of "scattering is more effective" ? It means the light intensity is larger after scattering or the light scattering in a "wider direction" ?

Thank you

I think "scattering is more effective" means the shorter wavelengh light beams will scatter more than the longer ones. You can see the color of the sky is due to the scattering phenomenon. When a light beam scatters, some of it changes to many directions and the rest still goes in a straight line. The scattering lights is what you can see in the sky

Feynman's Lectures Book one has an excellent discussion of this subject. See pages 32-6 to page 32-9. You can find this book in most good libraries.

For 3) The sky appears dark simply because the quantity of light being scattered in the atmosphere has been vastly reduced, not because the scattering centres (molecules) have been removed.
lockerman2007 said:
I would venture that the "scattering more effective" means a greater proportion of incident light is scattered.

Claude.

lockerman2007 said:
2) ... Furthermore, our eyes are more sensitive to blue than violet, so the sky is appeared to be blue.
I don't know what violet has to do with anything.

Thank you for the explanation and correction!

>>I don't know what violet has to do with anything.
If scattering is more effective for shorter wavelength, violet is scattered more than blue and the sky should be violet.

As for "scattering more effective", is greater proportion is scattered means greater intensity is scattered ?
That means for shorter wavelegth, the incident light will evenly distributed in all directions and for longer wavelegth, the intensity of light in the incident direction is larger than other directions ?

Last edited:
If scattering is more effective for shorter wavelength, violet is scattered more than blue and the sky should be violet.

The sky color is a mixture of many colors. Furthermore, the sun spectrum is not flat- I believe its peak is the yellow. Therefore the blue intensity is greater than violet. Finally our eye sensitivity is not unform over all colors.

Isn't the red light refracted less than the blue light?
Blue light hitting the atmosphere is refracted downwards while the red light can follow a straighter path.

lockerman2007 said:
As for "scattering more effective", is greater proportion is scattered means greater intensity is scattered ?

Nope, what I said has nothing to do with intensity, I'm talking about the overall quantity of light. Think of it as a scattering efficiency Scattered Light/Non-scattered light.

Claude.

Related to Sky colour explanation by scattering

1. What causes the sky to appear blue?

The sky appears blue due to a phenomenon called Rayleigh scattering, where sunlight is scattered by the molecules in the Earth's atmosphere. Blue light has a shorter wavelength and is scattered more easily, making it the most dominant color in the sky.

2. Why does the sky sometimes appear orange or red during sunrise and sunset?

During sunrise and sunset, the sun's light has to travel through more of the Earth's atmosphere, causing the blue light to scatter more and leaving behind the longer-wavelength red and orange light. This is known as Mie scattering.

3. Why does the sky appear white on a cloudy day?

On a cloudy day, the sunlight is scattered by the water droplets in the clouds, causing all the colors of the spectrum to blend together and appear white. This is known as cloud scattering.

4. How does pollution affect the color of the sky?

Pollution in the Earth's atmosphere can scatter the sunlight in different ways, causing the sky to appear a different color. For example, air pollution can absorb certain wavelengths of light, making the sky appear hazy or gray.

5. Does the sky color change at different altitudes?

Yes, the color of the sky can vary at different altitudes due to the different concentrations of air molecules and particles. At higher altitudes, there are fewer molecules to scatter the sunlight, making the sky appear darker or even black. At lower altitudes, the sky can appear lighter or a deeper shade of blue due to more scattering.