Solenoid geometry question: circular cross-section or rectangular?

In summary, a round solenoid would be better because it has a cylindrical core that moves back and forth, while a rectangular solenoid would have a flat core that slides in and out. The most important performance metrics are to maximize energy transfer into the ball and minimize the size of the solenoid.
hp-p00nst3r
Some Background
I am working on a soccer robotics project called RoboCup (perhaps people here have heard of it), which revolves around building a fleet of autonomous soccer robots that play against each other (league website - http://small-size.informatik.uni-bremen.de/ ). The kicking mechanism on the robot is a solenoid. A moving core impacts a ball to give the ball a speed of 8 to 10 m/s.

The Question
The big question here is whether a round solenoid or a rectangular solenoid could achieve a faster ball speed given the same volume. I realize there are a lot of design parameters, but I'm just having trouble trying to determine relatively, which geometry would better suit my purpose.

The round solenoid would just be a cylindrical shape with a cylindrical core moving back and forth. A rectangular solenoid (the wires are wound in a rectangular shape, rather than using wires of square cross-section) would have a flat core that slides in and out.

I guess the most important performance metrics here are to maximize energy transfer into the ball, while minimizing the size of the solenoid (I guess transferred energy divided by solenoid volume is a good metric here).

I greatly appreciate the insight from the users on this forum! If my question isn't clear, I'd be happy to clarify.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It won't change much. A circular section is a bit better since it reduces the wire length for a given flux - but above all, it's easier. If you wind several layers on a square mandrel, the coil ends round anyway, unless you usespecial methods.

If you want dynamic actuators, hydraulics is better than pneumatics which is better or equal to the best electric actuator, which is a voice coil motor. Though, you seem to depict a plunging core, which is seriously slower than a voice coil motor.

Or could you use spring that you compress slower with an electric motor?

Thanks for the reply. Just wondering, how do you come to that conclusion of how both geometries are similar? I've been giving that part a lot of thought and I can't determine a good reason on why the two geometries would have a similar performance.

Interesting suggestion you have on the pneumatic actuators. That is definitely something I had never considered previously. Other teams in the league also use solenoid for the same purpose and I guess that must be why I never considered it. It seems that everybody in the league has had their design converge to all using solenoids.

Related to Solenoid geometry question: circular cross-section or rectangular?

1. What is the difference between a circular cross-section and a rectangular cross-section in a solenoid?

A circular cross-section solenoid has a cylindrical shape, while a rectangular cross-section solenoid has a box-like shape. This affects the distribution of the magnetic field and can impact the performance of the solenoid.

2. Which type of solenoid is better suited for specific applications?

The choice between a circular or rectangular cross-section solenoid depends on the specific application and its requirements. Generally, a circular cross-section is better for producing a strong, uniform magnetic field, while a rectangular cross-section is better for directing the field in a specific direction.

3. Does the shape of the solenoid affect its inductance?

Yes, the shape of the solenoid does affect its inductance. A circular cross-section solenoid has a higher inductance compared to a rectangular cross-section solenoid with the same dimensions. This is because the circular shape allows for a more efficient use of space and a more uniform magnetic field.

4. How does the shape of a solenoid impact its resistance?

The shape of a solenoid does not directly impact its resistance. However, the shape can affect the wire length and diameter, which can then impact the resistance. A rectangular cross-section solenoid may have a longer wire length, resulting in higher resistance compared to a circular cross-section solenoid with the same number of turns.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when choosing between a circular or rectangular cross-section solenoid?

Yes, besides the magnetic field and inductance, other factors to consider include the power source, materials used, and cost. A circular cross-section solenoid may require a higher voltage power source, while a rectangular cross-section solenoid may be more expensive to manufacture due to its shape. Additionally, the materials used can also impact the performance and cost of the solenoid.