Solid mechanics thermal stress of infinite cylinder

In summary, the problem involves calculating the thermal stress of a cylindrical shell with inner radius a and outer radius b, where the inner surface experiences temperature T1 and the outer surface experiences T2, with T1>T2. The linear thermal expansion coefficient is given as a, and the Young modulus as E. The heat gradient within the shell is assumed to be linear. The thermal stress (S) can be obtained using the equation S = Ea (T1-T2). However, the derivation of this equation is not commonly known and may require accessing a textbook. The current attempt at deriving it has resulted in being stuck.
Taexzyn

Homework Statement

My problem is to calculate the Thermal stress of a Cylindric shell with inner radius a and outer radius b the inner surface is experiencing Temperature T1 and the outer surface is experiencing T2 with T1>T2 assuming that the linear thermal expansion coefficient is a, the Young modulus E and that the heat gradient within the shell is linear how to obtain the thermal stress (S) induced by these conditions?

Homework Equations

Thermal stress as given by most sources I could find, no equation given in the problem
S=Ea (T1-T2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to solve the problem with the equation above however I am hesitant to if it is right or not

Physics news on Phys.org
Taexzyn: The final answer is listed in some textbooks, usually without showing the derivation. Most people just copy the final answer out of a textbook, without knowing how it was derived. I would say, almost no one knows how to derive it. Do you just need to copy the final answer out of a textbook? Or do you need to also copy a derivation out of a textbook? Or instead, do you need to be able to derive it yourself, from only fundamental principles already in your own mind?

I briefly tried to derive it myself, and currently got stuck.

Related to Solid mechanics thermal stress of infinite cylinder

1. What is solid mechanics thermal stress?

Solid mechanics thermal stress is the study of how mechanical forces and stresses act on materials in response to changes in temperature. It involves analyzing the behavior of materials under thermal loading, such as expansion and contraction due to temperature changes.

2. What is an infinite cylinder?

An infinite cylinder is a theoretical object that has an infinite length and a constant radius. It is often used in solid mechanics to represent real-world cylindrical objects that are significantly longer than they are wide.

3. How does thermal stress affect an infinite cylinder?

Thermal stress can cause an infinite cylinder to undergo deformation, such as expansion or contraction, due to changes in temperature. This can result in internal stresses within the material, which can lead to failure or structural damage if not properly managed.

4. How is solid mechanics thermal stress of infinite cylinder studied?

Solid mechanics thermal stress of infinite cylinder is typically studied using mathematical models and equations that describe the behavior of materials under thermal loading. These models take into account factors such as material properties, temperature changes, and external forces acting on the cylinder.

5. What are some practical applications of studying solid mechanics thermal stress of infinite cylinder?

Understanding solid mechanics thermal stress of infinite cylinder has many practical applications, such as in the design and analysis of engineering structures and components that are subject to thermal loading, such as pipes, boilers, and engines. It can also be used to predict and prevent failure in these systems.