Solid Mechanics - Uniqueness of Plane Stress State

In summary, the state of plane stress at a point can be uniquely represented by two normal stress components and one shear stress component, according to the textbook. The complementary property of shear states that all four shear stresses must have equal magnitude and be directed either toward or away from each other at opposite edges of the element. Under pure shear, this property can be proved using force and moment balances. However, when normal and shear stress components are present, it is difficult to understand why the complementary property of shear is still valid. A proof of the Cauchy stress relationship is needed to fully understand this concept.
goaliematt76

Homework Statement

My textbook says that the state of plane stress at a point is uniquely represented by two normal stress components and one shear stress component acting on an element that has a specific orientation at the point. Also, the complementary property of shear says that all four shear stresses must have equal magnitude and be directed either toward or away from each other at opposite edges of the element.

Under pure shear, I can prove the complementary property of shear using force and moment balances. When normal and shear stress components are present, I am having difficulty understanding why shear stress and normal stress are unique, and why the complementary property of shear is still valid.

Homework Equations

Force and moment balances

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to construct a proof for this (see attached pdf), but I have not been able to complete it. I intentionally set up the directions of the shear stress components to violate the complementary property of shear, since I would like to show what the directions must be mathematically.

I am a third-year mechanical engineering student and I have already taken solid mechanics. This has just always bothered me, and I would like to see a proof for this.

Attachments

• Scan0001.pdf
    144.3 KB · Views: 210
Physics news on Phys.org
τ2 and τ4 are the same (this follows from the Cauchy stress relationship), but, in your diagram, they are pointing in the wrong directions. Also, from the Cauchy stress relationship, σ1 and σ3, σ2 and σ4, and τ1 and τ3 are equal. Think of tension in the string, after making a cut and applying compensating forces by hand. The tensions at the two sides of the cut point in opposite directions.

The complementary stress relationship says that τ21.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
τ2 and τ4 are the same (this follows from the Cauchy stress relationship), but, in your diagram, they are pointing in the wrong directions. Also, from the Cauchy stress relationship, σ1 and σ3, σ2 and σ4, and τ1 and τ3 are equal. Think of tension in the string, after making a cut and applying compensating forces by hand. The tensions at the two sides of the cut point in opposite directions.

The complementary stress relationship says that τ21.

Chet

I know that this is the final result, I would just like to be able to prove it. I drew τ2 and τ4 in the wrong directions intentionally because it is not obvious to me why the complementary stress relationship is valid in cases where normal stress is present. I suppose what I am looking for is a proof of the Cauchy stress relationship.

Related to Solid Mechanics - Uniqueness of Plane Stress State

1. What is the uniqueness of a plane stress state?

The uniqueness of a plane stress state refers to the fact that for any given two-dimensional body, there is only one set of stress components that can exist at a point and satisfy the equations of equilibrium and compatibility.

2. How is uniqueness of a plane stress state determined?

Uniqueness of a plane stress state is determined by applying the equations of equilibrium and compatibility to the body and solving for the stress components at each point. If a unique solution can be obtained, then the plane stress state is considered unique.

3. What are the implications of a non-unique plane stress state?

If a plane stress state is not unique, it means that there are multiple sets of stress components that can exist at a point and satisfy the equations of equilibrium and compatibility. This can lead to different deformation and failure behaviors of the body, making it more difficult to accurately predict its behavior.

4. How does material anisotropy affect the uniqueness of a plane stress state?

The uniqueness of a plane stress state can be affected by the anisotropic nature of a material, meaning that its properties vary with direction. In this case, there may be more than one set of stress components that can satisfy the equations of equilibrium and compatibility, making the plane stress state non-unique.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the uniqueness of a plane stress state?

Understanding the uniqueness of a plane stress state is important in structural engineering, as it allows for more accurate predictions of the behavior and failure of two-dimensional structures under different loading conditions. It is also relevant in material science and manufacturing processes, where the effects of anisotropy and non-uniform stress states on materials must be taken into account.