Solve Physics Puzzle Problem - 200 Puzzling Physics Problems

In summary: The chain is also pulling the bowl upwards, so the total upwards force on the bowl is equal to the weight of the soup and the chain.
c++guru
So I've been trying to do some physics puzzles and I've come across this in a book called "200 puzzling physics problems." The solution in the back makes no sense to me and I can't seem to figure it out by myself. Can anyone help me?

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-21%20at%209.29.45%20PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
No.

c++guru said:
The solution in the back makes no sense
What about it makes no sense?

c++guru said:
Can anyone help me?

Bystander said:
No.
I was answering the riddle, not denying assistance.
Yes, I'll echo A.T., "what about it makes no sense?"

Bystander said:
No.
Really? You reckon that would be true if the diameter of the bowl is 11cm ? This is a chain pulling it up, not a welded solid handle

phinds said:
Really?
I'll give you a hint since the OP hasn't been back to say what the bother is: "Two points."
phinds said:
diameter of the bowl is 11cm ?
You meant "immersion depth?" rather than "diameter," in which case, there's insufficient information.

Bystander said:
I'll give you a hint since the OP hasn't been back to say what the bother is: "Two points."

You meant "immersion depth?" rather than "diameter," in which case, there's insufficient information.
I can only think that we must be interpreting the problem statement differently. I agree there is insufficient information for my interpretation, but that is still my reading of the problem. That is, I read it as a very clearly stated problem that provides insufficient information for an answer.

I'll give the OP the rest of the day, then "spill the beans" come evening.

Bystander said:
I'll give the OP the rest of the day, then "spill the beans" come evening.
AAAARRRRGGGHHHH & dammit ! I obviously can't read. The diameter is given. Forget everything I've said in this thread. In fact, forget I'm even a member here! o:)

Oh, and yes, I agree w/ you on this now (even though I'm not actually here)

That solution on the back makes no sense linguistically. Here is my thinking: In the worst case scenario the bowl would be turning around the center of the circle it is a half of. Since the left most point on the bowl goes up by 10cm the right most point must go down 10cm, and this is exactly the boundary point for water spilling in. However, since the chain is applying an upward force on the bowl, the buoyant force would cause the entire bowl to move upwards. Thus the rotation of the bowl around its center only partially contributes to the leftmost point's moving upwards, and the rest is due to the buoyant force. Thus water will not flow in.

c++guru said:
That solution on the back makes no sense linguistically.
What solution? On the back of what?

Your thinking is exactly what I came up with. The only way to reach water level on the low side is if the bowl has zero mass, and no such specification was made in the problem statement.

I googled 200 puzzling physics problems pdf and the second link goes to a complete pdf of the book. I don't know if it is allowed to post a link due to copyright issues.

Well, the correct solution is, as I expected, what c++guru said. You can find it in page 85 if you find the pdf. I do not see any problem with the solution, it makes sense.

The bowl is made of copper, so it's denser than the water, and it contains fish soup, which is safe to assume that has approximately the same density as water. Therefore we can ascertain that the level of the soup must be below the lake’s level. Both the buoyant force and the soup’s weight are vertical forces that go through the sphere's geometrical centre. But the centre of mass of the bowl is below the hemisphere’s geometrical centre, so the system acts as a pendulum.

In order to tilt the hemispherical bowl the chain has to exert an upwards force on the rim, this will lift the bowl, thus preventing the water to go over the bowl’s rim.

Related to Solve Physics Puzzle Problem - 200 Puzzling Physics Problems

1. What is the purpose of "Solve Physics Puzzle Problem - 200 Puzzling Physics Problems"?

The purpose of this book is to provide a fun and challenging way for students to practice and improve their problem-solving skills in physics. It contains 200 puzzles that cover a variety of topics in physics, such as mechanics, electricity, and thermodynamics.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

This book is designed for students who are studying physics at the high school or introductory college level. It can also be used by anyone who is interested in physics and wants to test their problem-solving abilities.

3. Are the puzzles in this book based on real-world scenarios?

Yes, many of the puzzles in this book are based on real-world situations. This not only makes them more engaging and relatable, but it also helps students understand the practical applications of physics concepts.

4. How can this book help improve problem-solving skills?

The puzzles in this book are designed to challenge students to think critically and creatively in order to solve them. By practicing with a variety of physics problems, students can improve their analytical and problem-solving abilities, which are essential skills in many fields of science and engineering.

5. Do the answers to the puzzles come with explanations?

Yes, each puzzle in this book comes with a detailed explanation of the solution, including the relevant physics concepts and equations. This allows students to not only check their answers but also understand the reasoning behind them.