Solving Complex Matrix Problems: Normality, Diagonality, and Unitary Matrices

In summary, we are given Hermitian matrices A and B with the property AB = BA, and a matrix N = A + iB. We are asked to show that N is normal, that A can be recovered from N, and to find a formula for B. We are then introduced to a unitary matrix U and asked to show that U*AU and U*BU are diagonal matrices. By the properties of diagonality, we can use the fact that U*NU is diagonal to recover U*AU and U*BU from U*N*U, and therefore show that they are also diagonal matrices.
broegger
Let A and B be Hermitian matrices with AB = BA and let N = A + iB.

1) Show that N is normal.

2) Show that A = 1/2(N+N*) (* = conjugate transpose) and find a formula for B.

3) Let U be a unitary matrix such that U*NU is a diagonal matrix. Show that U*AU and U*BU is diagonal matrices.

I had no problems with 1) and 2) but I simply can't figure out 3)... Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can recover A form N, and if U diagonalizes N, does it diagonalize N*?

Clearly, U*NU= U*AU+ i U*BU. Since U*NU is a diagonal matrix, all non-diagonal elements are 0. That is, All non-diagonal elements of U*AU and iU*BU must cancel. What does that tell you about them individually (and don't forget the "i").

Clearly, U*NU= U*AU+ i U*BU. Since U*NU is a diagonal matrix, all non-diagonal elements are 0. That is, All non-diagonal elements of U*AU and iU*BU must cancel. What does that tell you about them individually (and don't forget the "i").

I honorstly don't know... I don't think the fact that two matrices P and Q sum up to a diagonalmatrix D implies that they are diagonalmatrices themselves - it just means that their non-diagonal elements cancel - as you say yourself... Or what?

I don't think Hall's method works since it doesn't use at any point the properties of A, B and N, and would thus appear to be 'true' for all matrices, which isn't possible.

However, U*NU diagonal implies (U*NU)*=U*N*U is diagonal, and you may recover U*AU from these two diagonal matrices using part 2

Related to Solving Complex Matrix Problems: Normality, Diagonality, and Unitary Matrices

What is a complex matrix?

A complex matrix is a rectangular array of complex numbers, where each element in the matrix is a combination of a real number and an imaginary number.

What makes solving a complex matrix problem difficult?

Complex matrix problems can be challenging because they involve operations with complex numbers, which have both a real and imaginary component. Additionally, complex matrices have different properties and rules compared to real matrices, making them more complex to work with.

What are some common techniques used to solve complex matrix problems?

Some common techniques used to solve complex matrix problems include Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, and eigenvalue decomposition. These techniques involve manipulating the matrix through various operations to simplify the problem and find a solution.

Can complex matrix problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, complex matrix problems can have multiple solutions. In fact, some problems may have an infinite number of solutions. This is because complex matrices can have non-unique eigenvalues, which can result in multiple solutions.

How are complex matrix problems used in science?

Complex matrix problems are used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are particularly useful in analyzing systems with multiple variables, such as electrical circuits, quantum mechanics, and data analysis. They also have applications in signal processing and image processing.