Solving Control System Problems: Natural Frequency and K Linkage Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a third order system with a zero in its transfer function and the link between natural frequency and K. The solution involves assuming Gc = (s+a)/(s+b) and expanding the open-loop gain GGc into s3 + cs2 + ds + e, then equating coefficients with (s2 + 2ζωns + ωn2)(s + αωn). The variable α is a new dimensionless variable for the 3rd-order system and the value of k is not specified in the problem, so it can be any value that agrees with one of the answer choices. The conversation also discusses the importance of using a good Laplace transform table and suggests starting
lazyaditya

Homework Statement

Since this is a third order system and there will be a zero in its transfer function i am confused that how the natural frequency and K will be linked ? Please do help i really get confused in these type of problems.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1 st image in the attachments is the attempt, and second image is the question.

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 390
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume Gc = (s+a)/(s+b) as you have done.

Then the open-loop gain is GGc = (k/s2)[(s+a)/(s+b)] = n/d.

Expand n + d into s3 + cs2 + ds + e

and equate coefficients of like powers of s with

(s2 + 2ζωns + ωn2)(s + αωn)
which you also have to expand as above.

By equating coefficients of like powers of s you get 3 equations with 3 unknowns (a, b and α).
Solve for a and b.

(k was not given numerically so you can assume any value which will agree with one of the four answer choices).

Why do you have used (s + αωn) i mean how do you have "αωn" as a root of the characteristic equation ?

lazyaditya said:
Why do you have used (s + αωn) i mean how do you have "αωn" as a root of the characteristic equation ?

Good question.

α is a new, dimensionless variable for a 3rd-order system. If you compare the inverse-Laplace transform for the 3rd-order chas. equation with the same xfr function for the 2nd order system, i.e. without the extra (s + αωn) term, you would get a similar time response to a delta function input except for a modified coefficient in front of the sine term, plus a second, non-sinusoidal, term. The second term decays as exp(-αωnt) whereas the sinusoidal part decays as exp(-ζωnt), same as for the 2nd-order system. The argument of the sine is the same for both 2nd and 3rd order systems
= (ωn√(1 - ζ2)t + ψ).

And the phase angle ψ(3rd order) = ψ(2nd order) - a term including α.

So the bottom-line answer is that the two systems behave somewhat similarly if for the 3rd order system you retain the 2nd order expression multiplied by (s + αωn).

The complete time response expression is a mess to write out & I'm not going to do it here, with or without the extra (s + αωn) in the chas. equation. I suggest you get hold of a very extensive Laplace transform table which includes the time responses to both cases.

I am still not very much clear about the part the root of 3 rd order system including natural frequency.

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    24 KB · Views: 361
lazyaditya said:
I am still not very much clear about the part the root of 3 rd order system including natural frequency.

Alpha is not arbitrarily chosen. You get 3 equations to solve for a, b and alpha.

Can you get hold of a really good Laplace transform table?

BTW your photos are 90 degrees twisted and very hard to read.

sorry for the photos.

I got 3 equations but what value of "k" should i take ?

lazyaditya said:
I got 3 equations but what value of "k" should i take ?

Like I said, a constant that will make one of your answer choices correct. I think it was dumb of them not to give you a value for k. It was obviously an incompletely stated problem.

I haven't done the work and don't want to, so here you're a bit on your own.

EDIT: wait, did you solve for a(k) and b(k), and if so, what did you get?

Last edited:
I have posted the Image.

Attachments

• photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 373
OK, so then a = 5 - 125/k = (5k - 125)/k and
b(k) = k/5

So if you start with b(k), choice (a) would seem closest: b(k) = 9.9, k = 49.5, then a(k) ~ 2.5.

As I said, I think it was dumb of them not to have given you k numerically since it certainly determines a and b.

Thanks a lot and sorry for such a late reply, since i wasn't able to check my thread for a long time.But how did you come to conclusion of "k" being 49.5 ?

b(k) = k/5 so
k = 5b(k)
But b = 9.9
Therefore k = 5*9.9 = 49.5

can i ask another question over here only regarding electromagnetic fields or should i post another thread ?

lazyaditya said:
can i ask another question over here only regarding electromagnetic fields or should i post another thread ?

I would start a new thread since control systems and e-m are very different disciplines.

Likes 1 person

Related to Solving Control System Problems: Natural Frequency and K Linkage Explained

What is the natural frequency of a control system?

The natural frequency of a control system refers to the frequency at which the system will oscillate when there is no external input or disturbance. It is determined by the system's physical properties.

How does K linkage affect control system performance?

K linkage, also known as proportional control, is used to adjust the gain or sensitivity of a control system. It affects the system's response time and stability, with higher K values resulting in faster response but potentially creating instability if set too high.

What is the difference between open loop and closed loop control systems?

An open loop control system operates without any feedback, meaning that the output is not compared to the desired input. In contrast, a closed loop control system uses feedback to continuously adjust the output based on the desired input, resulting in more accurate and stable control.

What are some common problems in control systems and how can they be solved?

Some common problems in control systems include oscillations, instability, and poor response time. These can be addressed by adjusting the system's gain and damping ratio, as well as adding additional control elements such as a feedback loop or a derivative controller.

How can I determine the stability of a control system?

The stability of a control system can be determined by analyzing the system's transfer function, which is a mathematical representation of its input-output relationship. The system is considered stable if all poles (roots of the transfer function's denominator) are in the left half of the complex plane.