Solving Integral using Complex Analysis: 0 to 2pi of $\frac{1}{13+12cost}$

• MHB
  • Thread starter Poirot1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Thanks , chisgma. That is the method I was trying in vain to remember. I get simple poles at z=-2/3 and -3/2 but -3/2 is outside of unit circle. I will call integrand f(z). Res(f,-2/3) =1/5 so using cauchy's formula I obtain integral is 2/5(pi).
Poirot1
I wish to evalute integral from 0 to 2pi of $\frac{1}{13+12cost}$ using compex analysis. So I say $cosz=0.5(z+z^{-1})$ and change variables thus integrand becomes:

$-i\frac{1}{13z+6z^2+6}$. What do I do from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Poirot said:
I wish to evalute integral from 0 to 2pi of $\frac{1}{13+12cost}$ using compex analysis. So I say $cosz=0.5(z+z{-1})$ and change variables thus integrand becomes:

You need to determine where the poles occur at.

Then check to see which pole(s) are in the unit circle.

Then use Residue Theory.

Poirot said:
I wish to evalute integral from 0 to 2pi of $\frac{1}{13+12cost}$ using compex analysis. So I say $cosz=0.5(z+z^{-1})$ and change variables thus integrand becomes:

There is no change of variable involved, you are using an identity.

Where did the -i come from?

*The poles occur at the zeros of \(6x^2+13x+6\).
CB

CaptainBlack said:
... there is no change of variable involved, you are using an identity... where did the -i come from?...

Is...

$\displaystyle z=e^{i\ t} \implies dz=i\ e^{i t}\ dt= i\ z\ dt \implies dt=\frac{d z}{i\ z}=-i\ \frac{d z}{z}$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Is...

$\displaystyle z=e^{i\ t} \implies dz=i\ e^{i t}\ dt= i\ z\ dt \implies dt=\frac{d z}{i\ z}=-i\ \frac{d z}{z}$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

What is being used is:

\(\cos(z)=\frac{e^{iz}+e^{-iz}}{2}\)

so:

\(\cos(t)=\frac{e^{it}+e^{-it}}{2}\)

just relabelling of the dummy variable of integration.

CB

CaptainBlack said:
What is being used is:

\(\cos(z)=\frac{e^{iz}+e^{-iz}}{2}\)

so:

\(\cos(t)=\frac{e^{it}+e^{-it}}{2}\)

just relabelling of the dummy variable of integration.

CB

Of course the correct solving procedure is to set $\displaystyle \cos t = \frac{z+z^{-1}}{2},\ z=e^{i\ t}$ , that conducts to the identity...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \frac{dt}{13+12\ \cos t}= -i\ \int_{C} \frac {d z}{6 z^{2}+13 z+6}$ (1)

... where C is the unit circle. The purpose of my post was to justify the 'funny term' -i in the formula...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thanks , chisgma. That is the method I was trying in vain to remember. I get simple poles at z=-2/3 and -3/2 but -3/2 is outside of unit circle. I will call integrand f(z). Res(f,-2/3) =1/5 so using cauchy's formula I obtain integral is 2/5(pi).

chisigma said:
Of course the correct solving procedure is to set $\displaystyle \cos t = \frac{z+z^{-1}}{2},\ z=e^{i\ t}$ , that conducts to the identity...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \frac{dt}{13+12\ \cos t}= -i\ \int_{C} \frac {d z}{6 z^{2}+13 z+6}$ (1)

... where C is the unit circle. The purpose of my post was to justify the 'funny term' -i in the formula...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
Yes, I should have notice4d where it had come from straight off.

Cb

Related to Solving Integral using Complex Analysis: 0 to 2pi of $\frac{1}{13+12cost}$

What is the purpose of solving integrals using complex analysis?

The purpose of solving integrals using complex analysis is to provide a powerful and efficient tool for evaluating integrals, especially those that are difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It involves using complex numbers and the properties of complex functions to simplify and solve integrals.

What is the formula for solving the integral 0 to 2pi of $\frac{1}{13+12cost}$ using complex analysis?

The formula for solving this integral is as follows: \[\int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{1}{13+12\cos{t}} dt = \frac{2\pi}{\sqrt{13^2-12^2}} = \frac{2\pi}{5}\]

What are the key steps in solving this integral using complex analysis?

The key steps in solving this integral using complex analysis include transforming the integral into a complex form, identifying the singularities of the integrand, using the residue theorem to evaluate the integral, and then converting the result back into a real number.

Why is complex analysis useful for solving this integral?

Complex analysis is useful for solving this integral because it allows us to use the powerful tools and techniques of complex analysis, such as the Cauchy integral theorem and the residue theorem, to evaluate integrals that would be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods.

What are some other applications of complex analysis in scientific research?

Complex analysis has many other applications in scientific research, including in physics, engineering, and statistics. It is used in fields such as electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. It also has applications in data analysis, where it is used to study and model complex systems and phenomena.