Solving My Post-BENG EENG Dilemma: Finding the Right Graduate Program

• Thread starter amenhotep
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on what graduate program to pursue in order to conduct cutting-edge research in the field of electronics, specifically in nanowires, nanotubes, and modern semiconductor materials. They are unsure of the specific name of the program and if they are eligible for it, given their background in electrical engineering. The expert suggests looking into degrees in nanotechnology and nanoscale physics, specifically mentioning programs at University of Central Florida, Arizona State University, and Rice University. These programs are designed to prepare students for industrial research and may provide preliminary classes for students from different backgrounds.
amenhotep
Hi,
[My Problem]
I got a bachelors in Electrical Engineering about 2 years ago and since then I've just been floating around like an unguided wave. A major problem of mine is deciding what to pursue next. I am undoubtedly going to continue my education but not very sure what is exactly I should do. This might be surprising but the the reason for my hesitation is that I am interested in so many things that I'm overwhelmed. But lately I've been narrowing down my options but I'm still facing difficulties because I don't know what exactly such a course in called, hence this thread.

[What I want]
So, I'm very interested in electronics (micro) and I'd like to put myself in the position where I can do cutting edge research on the fabrication of modern electronic devices. I'm thinking of thinks like nanowires, nanotubes, modern semiconductor materials etc. I'm aware that such a course might require quantum mechanics and material science. With the exception of a usual freshman physics introduction into quantum mechanics, my EENG curriculum included neither QM nor MS.

[What to do]
Given that I have a bachelors in EENG and the above:
1. What courses fit my description ? (I mean what is the name of the graduate program I should be looking for)
2. Will I be eligible for such a course (because it seems very Physics based) ?
3. Since I am not verse in QM or MS, will such courses provide preliminary classes for students from different backgrounds such as EENG ?

I hope I have clearly explained what I'm looking for and I really hope I can get the help that I need to focus on the next stage of my carrier.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Solving My Post-BENG EENG Dilemma: Finding the Right Graduate Program

1. What should I consider when choosing a graduate program?

When choosing a graduate program, it is important to consider factors such as the program's reputation, faculty expertise, research opportunities, location, and cost. You should also think about your career goals and make sure the program aligns with them.

2. How can I find the right graduate program for my specific interests?

Start by researching different universities and their graduate programs in your field of interest. Look at the curriculum and courses offered, as well as the faculty and their areas of expertise. You can also reach out to current students or alumni to get their insights and recommendations.

3. Should I prioritize a program with a thesis or a non-thesis option?

This depends on your career goals and personal preferences. A thesis program typically involves more research and may be better suited for students interested in pursuing a career in academia or research. A non-thesis program may be more practical for those looking to enter the workforce immediately after graduation.

4. How can I finance my graduate education?

There are several options for financing your graduate education, including scholarships, grants, assistantships, and loans. Research and apply for any available funding opportunities, and consider talking to your chosen university about financial aid options.

5. Is it necessary to have a Bachelor's degree in the same field as my desired graduate program?

Not necessarily. Many graduate programs accept students from diverse academic backgrounds, as long as they have the necessary prerequisites and demonstrate a strong interest and aptitude for the subject. However, some programs may require a Bachelor's degree in a related field or certain coursework to be completed before starting the program.