Solving Problem w/ Norm Space Proof: Advice & Resources

In summary: Thanks for the help, it was much appreciated.In summary, part a of the problem states that a vector can be written uniquely as a linear combination of basis vectors. Part b states that a continuous function is continuous at a point if its derivative is less than a certain variable.
SamJohannes
View attachment 3159

Hi guys, I've attached a problem that I've been struggling with for a while now. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to approach it (in particular part a) or some resources they could recommend to me?Thanks in advance, Sam

Attachments

• MTH2015_Assign_2_S2_2014_pdf__page_1_of_2_.png
    MTH2015_Assign_2_S2_2014_pdf__page_1_of_2_.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 78
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sam, and welcome to MHB!

I assume that $\|\mathbf x\|_1$ is defined as $\sum|x_j|$, where $x_j\ (1\leqslant j\leqslant n)$ are the coordinates of $\mathbf x$ with respect to some basis. It is not clear to me whether that basis is meant to be the given basis $\{\mathbf e_1,\ldots,\mathbf e_n\}$, or the standard basis for $\mathbb{R}^n$?

In the first of those two cases, define \(\displaystyle C = \max_{1\leqslant j\leqslant n}\|\mathbf e_j\|\). Then $ \|\mathbf x\| = \left\| \sum x_j\mathbf e_j\right\| \leqslant \sum|x_j|\|\mathbf e_j\| \leqslant C\sum|x_j| = C\|\mathbf x\|_1.$ A similar proof will work if the norm $\|\mathbf x\|_1$ is defined with respect to some other basis (such as the standard basis).

Thanks for the response Opalg, it's good to be here.

You're right, ∥x∥1 is the 1-norm.
I don't understand the bit ∥x∥=∥∥∑xjej∥∥. Is this true for all norms? Sorry if the question sounds silly, I'm relatively new to the topic.

-Cheers, Sam

SamJohannes said:
I don't understand the bit ∥x∥=∥∥∑xjej∥∥. Is this true for all norms?
You are told that $\{\mathrm e_1,\ldots,\mathrm e_n\}$ is a basis. So every vector $\mathrm x$ can be (uniquely) written as a linear combination of the basis vectors: $\mathrm x = \sum x_j\mathrm e_j$. Then $\|\mathrm x\| = \left\|\sum x_j\mathrm e_j\right\|$. The next step is to use the triangle inequality to say that this is $\leqslant \sum|x_j|\|\mathrm e_j\|.$

Thanks Opalg. That's helped a lot.

Any thoughts on part b?

SamJohannes said:
Any thoughts on part b?

Hi Sam,

To prove part (b), fix $\varepsilon > 0$; by continuity of $f$ at $(a,b)$, we can choose a $\delta > 0$ such that for all $(x,y)$, $||(x,y) - (a,b)|| < \delta$ implies $|f(x,y) - f(a,b)| < \varepsilon$.

Here's where I'll use the result of part (a). Let $\eta := \frac{\delta}{C}$, where $C$ is the constant in part (a). For all $x$, $|x - a| < \eta$ implies $||(x,b) - (a,b)||_1 = |x - a| < \eta$. So, $||(x,b) - (a,b)|| < C\eta = \delta$. Hence, $|f_b(x) - f_b(a)| = |f(x,b) - f(a,b)| < \varepsilon$. Since $\varepsilon$ was arbitrary, $f_b$ is continuous at $a$.

Related to Solving Problem w/ Norm Space Proof: Advice & Resources

1. What is a norm space?

A norm space is a mathematical concept in which a set of elements is defined with a norm function, which assigns a non-negative value to each element and satisfies certain properties, such as the triangle inequality.

2. How can I solve a problem related to norm spaces?

To solve a problem related to norm spaces, it is important to first understand the properties and definitions of norm spaces. Then, you can use various techniques such as vector calculus and functional analysis to prove theorems or find solutions to specific problems.

3. What resources are available for solving problems with norm spaces?

There are many resources available for solving problems with norm spaces, including textbooks, online articles, and video lectures. Additionally, many universities offer courses in functional analysis or vector calculus, which cover topics related to norm spaces.

4. Can you provide advice for approaching a proof involving norm spaces?

When approaching a proof involving norm spaces, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem statement. Then, try to break down the problem into smaller, manageable steps and use the definitions and properties of norm spaces to guide your reasoning.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when working with norm spaces?

One common mistake when working with norm spaces is assuming that all the familiar properties of vector spaces also apply to norm spaces. It is important to remember that norm spaces have additional properties, such as the triangle inequality, which may impact the approach to solving a problem.