Solving Rotational Motion Problem: Find Acceleration

In summary: So it should be:a_{n} = r\omega^2 = (.6)(12.09) = 7.254 m/s^2In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving finding the magnitude of acceleration. The steps involve finding the two components of acceleration, tangential and centripetal, using kinematics formulas and converting revolutions to radians. After some calculation and adjusting for units, the final answer is found to be 7.254 m/s^2.
Jason03
Heres the problem I am workin on

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/9166/rotatesm3.jpg

Now in order to find the magnitude of accleration I am assuming I would need to find the two components of acceleration first, Centripetal and Tangential...

I found tangetial by the formula

[tex] a_{t} = r\alpha [/tex]

I converted the 2 revolutions to

[tex] 4\pi radians [/tex]

but I am not exactly sure how to get tangential...i need angualr velocity...

how to I get angular velocity from revolutions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to do a little kinematics. You have the angle in radians,the angular acceleration, and the initial angular speed--use kinematic formulas to find the final angular speed. Hint: Angle is the analog to distance, just like angular speed and acceleration are the analogs to linear speed and acceleration.

ok how does this look

[tex] \omega^2 = \omega_{o} + 2\alpha(\theta-\theta_{o})[/tex]

[tex]= 0 + 2(.8)(4\pi radians)[/tex]

[tex]\omega = 4.48 rad/s[/tex]

[tex]a_{n} = r\omega^2 = (.6)(20.16) = 27.18 [/tex]

[tex] a_{t} = r\theta = (.6)(.8) = .480 [/tex]

[tex]A = \sqrt{(9.480)^2 + (27.18)^2} = 27.18 [/tex]

Last edited:
Your method looks good, but check your arithmetic here:
Jason03 said:
[tex]a_{n} = r\omega^2 = (.6)(20.16) = 27.18 [/tex]

ohhh thanks...im having trouble reading my calculators display!

that changes the answer to 12.09 rad/s^2

Jason03 said:
that changes the answer to 12.09 rad/s^2
That looks better, but be careful with units. The acceleration is in m/s^2.

Related to Solving Rotational Motion Problem: Find Acceleration

1. What is rotational motion and how is it different from linear motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It is different from linear motion, which is the movement of an object in a straight line. In rotational motion, the object rotates around an axis, while in linear motion, the object moves along a straight path.

2. How do you find the acceleration in rotational motion?

To find the acceleration in rotational motion, you can use the formula a = αr, where a is the acceleration, α is the angular acceleration, and r is the distance from the center of rotation to the object. Alternatively, you can also use the formula a = rω^2, where ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is the difference between tangential and radial acceleration in rotational motion?

Tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration that is parallel to the path of the rotating object, while radial acceleration is the component that is perpendicular to the path. Tangential acceleration is responsible for the change in tangential speed, while radial acceleration is responsible for the change in direction of the object's velocity.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the acceleration in rotational motion?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. The greater the moment of inertia, the more force is needed to produce the same amount of acceleration. Therefore, an object with a larger moment of inertia will have a lower acceleration compared to an object with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. What are the common units used to measure acceleration in rotational motion?

The common units used to measure acceleration in rotational motion are radians per second squared (rad/s^2) and revolutions per second squared (rev/s^2). These units are equivalent to meters per second squared (m/s^2) in linear motion.