SR problem in book seems to be faulty

• Thread starter Mr.Miyagi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Sr
In summary, the question asks for the four-momentum of a newly discovered particle, called a "rayon", produced when a neutral boson traveling with v=4/5 in the +x direction strikes a snoozon at rest. The boson has a mass of m and the snoozon has a mass of M=3m. The interaction also produces a photon with energy 2m, emitted in the -x direction. Using conservation of four-momentum, the components of the four-momentum of the rayon are calculated to be 8m/3 for energy and 10m/3 for momentum in the x-direction. However, this result seems incorrect as the energy should always be greater than or equal to
Mr.Miyagi

Homework Statement

The problem in question is 11.10 of "A traveler's guide to spacetime" by Moore. It goes as follows (by the way, the unit of distance that is used in the book is the lightsecond):

"A neutral boson of mass m traveling with v=4/5 in the +x direction strikes a snoozon of mass M=3m at rest. The interaction of these particles produces a previously undiscovered particle (which we will call a "rayon") and a photon with energy 2m. Assume that the photon is emitted in the -x direction.
a. What is the four-momentum of the rayon?"

Homework Equations

[tex]E=\frac{m}{\sqrt{1-v^2}}[/tex]
[tex]p_x=v_xE[/tex]
[tex]p_y=v_yE[/tex]
[tex]p_y=v_yE[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculate the following values:
[tex]E_{boson}=5m/3[/tex]
[tex]p_{x, boson}=4m/3[/tex]
[tex]E_{snoozon}=3m[/tex]
[tex]p_{x, snoozon}=0[/tex]
[tex]E_{foton}=2m[/tex]
[tex]p_{x, foton}=-2m[/tex]
All the y- and z-components of p are 0.

With this I calculate the components of the four-momentum of the rayon, using the fact that the four-momentum of the system of particles is conserved:
[tex]E_{rayon}=E_{boson}+E_{snoozon}-E_{foton}=5m/3+3m-2m=8m/3[/tex]
[tex]p_{x, rayon}=p_{x, boson}+p_{x, snoozon}-p_{x, foton}=4m/3+0+2m=10m/3[/tex]
And again, the y- and z-components are 0.

The four-momentum then, is [tex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 8m/3 \\ 10m/3 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right][/tex]
But this doesn't make any sense, since E should always be qreater or equal to p.

Have I made a mistake somewhere or is the question just not right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Should I, perhaps, explain my solution in more detail?

I would say that there is likely an error in the question or in the calculations provided. It is possible that the question is not properly framed or that there is a typo in the given values. It is also possible that there is a mistake in the equations used to calculate the four-momentum.

In order to properly address the issue, I would suggest double-checking all of the values and equations used in the calculations. If the error cannot be identified, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or the author of the book for clarification. It is important to ensure that all calculations and assumptions are accurate in order to arrive at a valid solution.

Related to SR problem in book seems to be faulty

1. What is the SR problem in the book?

The SR problem in the book refers to a potential issue or error found in the book's content related to the field of science, specifically the theory of relativity.

2. How do I identify the SR problem in the book?

The SR problem may be identified through careful reading and understanding of the book's content, as well as comparing it to reliable sources and scientific evidence. It is important to critically evaluate the information presented in the book and question any inconsistencies or inaccuracies.

3. Can the SR problem in the book be fixed?

If the SR problem is indeed present in the book, it may be possible to address and correct it through further research and revisions. However, this ultimately depends on the author's willingness to make changes and the extent of the problem.

4. How does the SR problem affect the book's credibility?

The SR problem may affect the book's credibility as it calls into question the accuracy and reliability of its information. It is important for scientific literature to be backed by solid evidence and avoid any significant errors or discrepancies.

5. Should I still read the book despite the SR problem?

It is up to the reader's discretion whether or not to continue reading the book despite the SR problem. However, it is advisable to approach the book with a critical mindset and seek out additional sources to verify any potentially problematic information.