Submodules A + B and A intersect B .... Blyth Ch. 2

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
In summary, Blyth claims that $A+B$ is the smallest submodule of $M$ that contains both $A$ and $B$, and that $A\cap B$ is the largest submodule of $M$ contained in both $A$ and $B$. These claims can be formally and rigorously proven using the definitions and theorems provided in Chapter 2 of Blyth's book.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading T. S. Blyth's book "Module Theory: An Approach to Linear Algebra" ... ... and am currently focussed on Chapter 2: Submodules; Intersections and Sums ... ...

I need help with understanding two claims that Blyth makes concerning submodules ...

The relevant text is as follows: ( see end of post for other text that may be relevant)https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/5891I have two questions concerning the above text ... ...
Question 1In the above text we read:

" ... ... We know that \(\displaystyle A + B\) is the smallest submodule of \(\displaystyle M\) that contains both \(\displaystyle A\) and \(\displaystyle B\), ... ... "My question is: how exactly do we know this ... ? How would we formally and rigorously prove this ... ?
Question 2In the above text we read:

" ... ... and that \(\displaystyle A \cap B\) is the largest submodule contained in both \(\displaystyle A\) and \(\displaystyle B\), ... ... "
My question is: how exactly do we know this ... ? How would we formally and rigorously prove this ... ?Hope that someone can help with the above two questions ...

PeterPS Just in case readers need to reference some of Blyth's definitions or theorems in Chapter 2, I am providing the relevant text as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/5892
View attachment 5893
View attachment 5894
View attachment 5895
View attachment 5896

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

Peter said:
Question 1

In the above text we read:

" ... ... We know that \(\displaystyle A + B\) is the smallest submodule of \(\displaystyle M\) that contains both \(\displaystyle A\) and \(\displaystyle B\), ... ... "My question is: how exactly do we know this ... ? How would we formally and rigorously prove this ... ?
Question 2In the above text we read:

" ... ... and that \(\displaystyle A \cap B\) is the largest submodule contained in both \(\displaystyle A\) and \(\displaystyle B\), ... ... "
My question is: how exactly do we know this ... ? How would we formally and rigorously prove this ... ?

For Question 1, let $K$ be any submodule of $M$ that contains both $A$ and $B$. Then $A\cup B\subseteq K$, so that $A+B=\langle A\cup B\rangle\subseteq \langle K\rangle =K$. Since $K$ was arbitrary, the statement follows.

For Question 2, let $K$ be any submodule contained in both $A$ and $B$. Then $K\subseteq A\cap B$ and it's known from a theorem in the text you posted that $A\cap B$ is a submodule contained in $A$ and $B.$ Since $K$ was arbitrary, the statement follows.

GJA said:
Hi Peter,
For Question 1, let $K$ be any submodule of $M$ that contains both $A$ and $B$. Then $A\cup B\subseteq K$, so that $A+B=\langle A\cup B\rangle\subseteq \langle K\rangle =K$. Since $K$ was arbitrary, the statement follows.

For Question 2, let $K$ be any submodule contained in both $A$ and $B$. Then $K\subseteq A\cap B$ and it's known from a theorem in the text you posted that $A\cap B$ is a submodule contained in $A$ and $B.$ Since $K$ was arbitrary, the statement follows.

Thanks GJA ... appreciate your help

Peter

Question 1: $A+B$ is the smallest submoduie of $M$ that contains both $A$ and $B$

Of course $A\subset A+B$ and $B\subset A+B$.
Suppose $X$ is a submodule of $M$ that contains both $A$ and $B$: $A\subset X$ and $B\subset X$.
Then $A+B\subset X$.
Thus, $X$ is larger (or equal) than $A+B$.

Question 2: $A\cap B$ is the largest submodule of $M$ contained in both $A$ and $B$

Of course $A\cap B\subset A$ and $A\cap B\subset B$
Suppose $X$ is a submodule of $M$ contained in both $A$ and $B$: $X\subset A$ and $X\subset B$.
Then $X \subset A\cap B$.
Thus, $X$ is smaller (or equal) than $A\cap B$.

Related to Submodules A + B and A intersect B .... Blyth Ch. 2

1) What is the difference between submodules A and B?

Submodule A is a subset of the larger module, while submodule B is a separate subset that may or may not overlap with submodule A.

2) How can we determine the intersection of submodules A and B?

The intersection of submodules A and B is found by identifying the elements that are present in both submodules.

3) Can submodules A and B have any elements in common?

Yes, submodules A and B can have elements in common, which would result in a non-empty intersection.

4) What does it mean if submodules A and B have no elements in common?

If submodules A and B have no elements in common, it means that they are completely separate and do not overlap at all.

5) How are submodules A and B related to each other?

Submodules A and B are related in that they both exist within the larger module, but they may have different elements and may or may not overlap with each other.