Theorem 2.3: Submodule Generation by Family of Submodules - T. S. Blyth

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation is about a reader seeking help with understanding Theorem 2.3 from T. S. Blyth's book "Module Theory: An Approach to Linear Algebra". The reader provides some relevant text from Blyth prior to the theorem and expresses confusion about the statement in the theorem. Another reader helps clarify by explaining that module addition is commutative and associative, allowing for grouping of terms in the finite sum and combining them into a single element. The reader expresses appreciation for the clarification.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading T. S. Blyth's book "Module Theory: An Approach to Linear Algebra" ... ... and am currently focussed on Chapter 1: Modules, Vector Spaces and Algebras ... ...

I need help with a basic and possibly simple aspect of Theorem 2.3 ...

Since the answer to my question may depend on Blyth's previous definitions and theorems I am providing some relevant text from Blyth prior to Theorem 2.3 ... but those confident with the theory obviously can go straight to the theorem at the bottom of the scanned text ...

Theorem 2.3 together with some relevant prior definitions and theorems reads as follows: (Theorem 2,3 at end of text fragment)View attachment 5886
View attachment 5887
View attachment 5888
In the above text (near the end) we read, in the statement of Theorem 2.3:

" ... ... then the submodule generated by \(\displaystyle \bigcup_{ i \in I } M_i\) consists of all finite sums of the form \(\displaystyle \sum_{ j \in J } m_j\) ... ... "The above statement seems to assume we take one element from each \(\displaystyle M_j\) in forming the sum \(\displaystyle \sum_{ j \in J } m_j\) ... ... but how do we know a linear combination does not take more than one element from a particular \(\displaystyle M_j\) , say \(\displaystyle M_{ j_0 }\) ... ... or indeed all elements from one particular \(\displaystyle M_j\) ... rather than one element from each submodule in the family \(\displaystyle \{ M_i \}_{ i \in I }\) ...

Hope someone can clarify this ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
To briefly address your concerns, recall that module addition is commutative and associative, so we can group all terms in our finite sum from anyone $M_i$ so they are adjacent, and since $M_i$ is closed under module addition and $R$-multiplication, we can "combine" all those terms into a single element $m_i$.

Of course we may have just a single (non-zero) "term" in the sum $\sum\limits_{j \in J} m_j$, because $J$ may be a singleton subset of $I$ (which is non-empty).

Deveno said:
To briefly address your concerns, recall that module addition is commutative and associative, so we can group all terms in our finite sum from anyone $M_i$ so they are adjacent, and since $M_i$ is closed under module addition and $R$-multiplication, we can "combine" all those terms into a single element $m_i$.

Of course we may have just a single (non-zero) "term" in the sum $\sum\limits_{j \in J} m_j$, because $J$ may be a singleton subset of $I$ (which is non-empty).
... thanks Deveno ... that clarified the matter ...

... appreciate your help ...

Peter

Related to Theorem 2.3: Submodule Generation by Family of Submodules - T. S. Blyth

1. What is Theorem 2.3 in the context of submodule generation?

Theorem 2.3 in the context of submodule generation refers to a mathematical statement that explains how a submodule can be generated by a family of submodules. It provides a method for constructing a submodule using smaller submodules.

2. Who is T. S. Blyth and why is this theorem associated with them?

T. S. Blyth is a mathematician who has made significant contributions to the field of abstract algebra, including the study of module theory. This theorem is associated with them because it was first introduced and proved by Blyth in their book "Modules and Ring Theory".

3. What does it mean for a submodule to be generated by a family of submodules?

When a submodule is generated by a family of submodules, it means that the submodule can be constructed using a combination of the submodules in the family. This combination can involve taking linear combinations, products, and intersections of the submodules in the family.

4. How is Theorem 2.3 useful in module theory?

Theorem 2.3 is useful in module theory because it provides a method for constructing submodules, which are essential building blocks in the study of modules. It also allows for the decomposition of a larger submodule into smaller, more manageable submodules.

5. Are there any practical applications of Theorem 2.3?

Yes, there are practical applications of Theorem 2.3 in various areas of mathematics and other fields such as physics and computer science. In algebraic geometry, this theorem is used to study algebraic varieties, and in coding theory, it is used to construct error-correcting codes. It also has applications in the study of vector spaces and linear transformations.