Symbol creation in LaTeX (Question)

In summary, creating a symbol in LaTeX can be done using the \symbolname command or by defining your own with \newcommand or \DeclareMathSymbol. To insert a symbol into your document, use the \usepackage{amssymb} command and the \symbolname command or \includegraphics command for images. You can change the size of a symbol with \scalebox or \resizebox commands. To create your own symbols, use \newcommand or \DeclareMathSymbol or insert images with \usepackage{graphicx}. To find a specific symbol, refer to online lists or the LaTeX documentation, or use the Detexify tool to draw and receive the corresponding code.
Lovemaker
Hi,

Does anyone know how to create the following symbol (in LaTeX): An exclamation mark directly above an equal sign.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
\stackrel{!}{=}

http://www.sitmo.com/gg/latex/latex2png.2.php?z=100&eq=\stackrel{!}{%3D}

( I should give credit to http://www.sitmo.com/latex/ for rendering this LaTeX expression. )

Last edited:
Thank you!

Related to Symbol creation in LaTeX (Question)

1. How do I create a symbol in LaTeX?

To create a symbol in LaTeX, you can use the \symbolname command. For example, to create the symbol for infinity, you would use \infty. You can also use the \newcommand or \DeclareMathSymbol commands to define your own symbols.

2. How do I insert a symbol into my document?

To insert a symbol into your document, you can use the \usepackage{amssymb} command to access a library of symbols. Then, use the \symbolname command to insert the symbol into your document. You can also use the \includegraphics command to insert an image of a symbol into your document.

3. How do I change the size of a symbol in LaTeX?

To change the size of a symbol in LaTeX, you can use the \scalebox or \resizebox commands. These commands allow you to specify the desired size of the symbol in relation to the current font size.

4. Can I create my own symbols in LaTeX?

Yes, you can create your own symbols in LaTeX by defining them using the \newcommand or \DeclareMathSymbol commands. You can also use the \usepackage{graphicx} command to insert images of symbols into your document.

5. How do I find a specific symbol in LaTeX?

To find a specific symbol in LaTeX, you can use the comprehensive list of symbols available online or in the LaTeX documentation. You can also use the Detexify tool, which allows you to draw a symbol and receive the corresponding LaTeX code.