Termodynamics: saturation pressure vs total air pressure

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the end pressure of a gas mixture after chloroform vapor gets saturated. It is as simple as adding the chloroform vapor pressure to the starting air pressure. The saturated pressure is a function of temperature and is read from a table. The saturated pressure of chloroform does not vary with the total pressure of the air+chloroform mixture because there is the same pressure in the liquid and vapor.
Tadej
Hi!

I have a question.
The experiment goes like this. i hermetically close air and chloroform at standard pressure. now i want to calculate the end pressure of gas mixture after chloroform vapor gets saturated.

is it as simple as adding up the chloroform saturated pressure to the starting air pressure?
or do i have to take into account a change in the saturated pressure because of the change in the total pressure?

general direction and some formulas will be very appreciated :)

thank u
Tadej

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's as simple as adding the chloroform vapor pressure to the starting air pressure.

Chet

great! tnx :)

what about calculating the saturated pressure regarding a certain atmospheric pressure? i know it varies considerably for water vapor...

thank u
Tadej

Saturation pressure is a function of temperature and is read from a table.

Tadej said:
great! tnx :)

what about calculating the saturated pressure regarding a certain atmospheric pressure? i know it varies considerably for water vapor...

thank u
Tadej
I don't understand your question.

its just a product of my misconception :)

i thought that saturated pressure of chloroform varies with the total pressure of the air+chloroform mixture. and of course it doesnt, because there is same pressure in the liquid as in the vapor.

thank u :)

Related to Termodynamics: saturation pressure vs total air pressure

1. What is the difference between saturation pressure and total air pressure in thermodynamics?

Saturation pressure refers to the vapor pressure of a substance at its boiling point, while total air pressure is the sum of all the individual pressures of the different gases that make up the air. In other words, saturation pressure is specific to a particular substance, while total air pressure is a general measure of the pressure of the entire air mixture.

2. How do saturation pressure and total air pressure affect the behavior of gases?

In general, gases will behave differently depending on their individual saturation pressures and the total air pressure. For example, if the total air pressure increases, gases with a lower saturation pressure will condense into liquids at a lower temperature, while gases with a higher saturation pressure will remain in their gaseous state.

3. Can you explain the relationship between saturation pressure and total air pressure in terms of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to temperature and the number of moles of gas, can be used to understand the relationship between saturation pressure and total air pressure. As the total air pressure increases, the temperature and number of moles of gas also increase, resulting in a higher saturation pressure for substances with a lower boiling point.

4. How does humidity affect the saturation pressure and total air pressure of a gas mixture?

Humidity, which is the amount of water vapor present in the air, can affect both saturation pressure and total air pressure. As humidity increases, the total air pressure also increases due to the additional water vapor molecules. This can also impact the saturation pressure of substances with a lower boiling point, as the increased total air pressure can cause them to condense into liquids at a lower temperature.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the relationship between saturation pressure and total air pressure?

Yes, understanding the behavior of gases under different saturation and total air pressures is crucial in many industries, such as in the production of gases for industrial and medical use. It is also important in the design of systems that involve gas-liquid equilibrium, such as refrigeration and distillation processes.