The Amount of Joules generated by a car wheel travelling at 30mph

In summary, the amount of Joules created by an average size car wheel traveling at 30mph would depend on the car's mass and speed. Using the formula E = 1/2 m v^2, the calculation for a car with a mass of 500 kg and speed of 30mph would result in 44965.07136 joules. However, this does not take into consideration the weight of the alloy and tire, which would add an additional 1348.9521408 joules of kinetic energy. Overall, the kinetic energy of the tire is a small fraction of the total car's kinetic energy.
Redvers
I am interested to know the amount of Joules created by an average size car wheel traveling at 30mph. Please could you let me know the calculation needed to work this out?

Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
why not use E = 1/2 m v^2 to get it? You know the mass of the car and you know its speed.

Redvers said:
I am interested to know the amount of Joules created by an average size car wheel traveling at 30mph. Please could you let me know the calculation needed to work this out?

Thank you,
What makes you think that the car wheel is creating any amount of Joules?
What process do you have in mind? There is no known process for energy creation.
The energy may be transferred between systems and transformed from one form to another.

Energy can't be created nor destroyed however it can be transformed from one form to a another. Let's say the mass of the car was 500 kg and the speed is 30 miles per hour which is 13.4112 meters per second so KE=1/2 mv-squared =1/2*500*13.4112 meters per second squared= 44965.07136 joules

Karimspencer said:
Energy can't be created nor destroyed however it can be transformed from one form to a another. Let's say the mass of the car was 500 kg and the speed is 30 miles per hour which is 13.4112 meters per second so KE=1/2 mv-squared =1/2*500*13.4112 meters per second squared= 44965.07136 joules

How would this answers the OP question about the energy "created by an average size car wheel"?

Thank you but wouldn't you need to consider the weight of the alloy and tyre? The average car wheel weighs 15kg.

I thought he said car, my bad.

The kinetic energy of the tire is a small fraction of the kinetic energy of the car, as the tire's mass is usually a small fraction of the total car mass.
As the tires are rotating, their kinetic energy per mass is larger, the value depends on the internal mass distribution: A solid disk would have 50% more kinetic energy, a circle (and nothing inside) would have 100% more. This assume that the tires are rolling and not slipping ;).

In case of the wheel , let's say the mass is 15 kg
so the K.E = 1/2*15*13.4112 meters per second squared=1348.9521408 J

Related to The Amount of Joules generated by a car wheel travelling at 30mph

1. What is the formula for calculating the amount of Joules generated by a car wheel travelling at 30mph?

The formula for calculating the amount of Joules generated by a car wheel travelling at 30mph is J = 1/2 * m * v^2, where J is the amount of Joules, m is the mass of the car wheel, and v is the velocity (in meters per second).

2. How do you convert 30mph to meters per second?

To convert 30mph to meters per second, you can use the formula v (m/s) = v (mph) * 0.44704, where v is the velocity in meters per second and v is the velocity in miles per hour.

3. What is the average mass of a car wheel?

The average mass of a car wheel varies depending on the type and size of the car. However, a standard car wheel typically weighs around 20-30 pounds or 9-14 kilograms.

4. How much energy does a car wheel travelling at 30mph generate?

Using the formula J = 1/2 * m * v^2, we can calculate that a car wheel travelling at 30mph would generate approximately 3,375 Joules of energy.

5. What factors can affect the amount of Joules generated by a car wheel travelling at 30mph?

The amount of Joules generated by a car wheel travelling at 30mph can be affected by factors such as the mass of the car wheel, the velocity, the condition of the road surface, and any external forces acting on the wheel (such as friction or wind resistance).