The distance is attained by a unique point

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the theorem states that there is a unique y-value in a closed subset of a Hilbert space, which satisfies d(x,K) < 1.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Theorem:Let $K$ be a convex and closed subset of a Hilbert space $X$ and $x \in X$. Then there is a unique $y_x \in K$ such that $$||x-y_x||=d(x,K):=inf \{||x-y||: y \in K \}$$

Remarks:

- if $K$ is not closed then the distance $d(x,K)$ isn't attained in general.

If for example $X=\mathbb{R}^2$ and $D(0,1)=\{ y \in \mathbb{R}^2: ||y||_2 <1\}$ and $x=(2,0)$ then $d(x,K)=1$ and is attained at the point $(1,0) \notin K$.Could you explain me how we deduce that $d(x,K)=1$ ? - if $K$ isn't convex then the uniqueness isn't satisfied.

Could you explain me why? - If $A \subset \mathbb{R} (\neq \varnothing)$ then there is a sequence $(a_n) \in A$ such that $a_n \to \inf A$ .
From the last remark we have that there is a sequence $(y_n) \in K$ such that $||x-y_n|| \to d(x,K)$.

If we apply the last remark don't we get that there is a $y_n \in K$ such that $y_n \to \inf K$ ? How do we conclude that $||x-y_n|| \to d(x,K)$ ?Firstly we want to show that $(y_n)$ is Cauchy and since $X$ is a complete metric space it will converge to a $y \in X$, i.e. $||y_n-y|| \to 0$ and since $K$ is closed we will have that $y \in K$.In order to show this we will use the Parallelogram law $||x-y||^2+||x+y||^2=2 ||x||^2+2 ||y||^2$. But what $x$ and $y$ do we have to use? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have time to answer all your questions just now, but I can answer a few, and perhaps nudge you on the others.

evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

Theorem:Let $K$ be a convex and closed subset of a Hilbert space $X$ and $x \in X$. Then there is a unique $y_x \in K$ such that $$||x-y_x||=d(x,K):=inf \{||x-y||: y \in K \}$$

Remarks:

- if $K$ is not closed then the distance $d(x,K)$ isn't attained in general.

If for example $X=\mathbb{R}^2$ and $D(0,1)=\{ y \in \mathbb{R}^2: ||y||_2 <1\}$ and $x=(2,0)$ then $d(x,K)=1$ and is attained at the point $(1,0) \notin K$.Could you explain me how we deduce that $d(x,K)=1$ ?

So $K$ is the open circle of radius $1$, centered at the origin, right? If you visualize the point $(2,0)$ relative to the circle, then the point on the boundary of the circle closest to $x$ is $(1,0)$. However, this point is not in the open circle. Consider the sequence $\{(1-1/n,0)\} \subset K$, and the distance from each of these points to $(2,0)$ in the Euclidean metric. Then those distances are $2-(1-1/n)=1+1/n$. If we take the infimum of these distances, we will see that it is $1$, and hence $d(x,K)=1$.
- if $K$ isn't convex then the uniqueness isn't satisfied.

Could you explain me why?

See the following figure:

View attachment 4982

The point on the right is equidistant from the two different lobes on the left. The two circles on the left make a decidedly non-convex shape, and so you can see why the distance from a point to a set might not be unique if the set isn't convex.

The rest of your post will take considerably more thought. I can't promise a time when I can look at it.

Attachments

• Non-Uniqueness of Distance for Non-Convex Sets.png
    Non-Uniqueness of Distance for Non-Convex Sets.png
    686 bytes · Views: 60
evinda said:

- If $A \subset \mathbb{R} (\neq \varnothing)$ then there is a sequence $(a_n) \in A$ such that $a_n \to \inf A$ .

From the last remark we have that there is a sequence $(y_n) \in K$ such that $||x-y_n|| \to d(x,K)$.

Firstly we want to show that $(y_n)$ is Cauchy and since $X$ is a complete metric space it will converge to a $y \in X$, i.e. $||y_n-y|| \to 0$ and since $K$ is closed we will have that $y \in K$.In order to show this we will use the Parallelogram law $||x-y||^2+||x+y||^2=2 ||x||^2+2 ||y||^2$. But what $x$ and $y$ do we have to use? (Thinking)
In the parallelogram law, replace "$x$" by $x-y_n$ and "$y$" by $x-y_m$. Then the law says that $$\|(x-y_n) - (x-y_m)\|^2 + \|(x-y_n) + (x-y_m)\|^2 = 2\|x-y_n\|^2 + 2\|x-y_m\|^2.$$ On the left side of that equation, the first term is $\|y_m-y_n\|^2$. The second term can be written as $\|2x - (y_m + y_n)\|^2 = 4\|x - \frac12(y_m+y_n)\|^2.$ But $\frac12(y_m+y_n) \in K$ because $K$ is convex. Therefore $\|x - \frac12(y_m+y_n)\| \geqslant d = d(x,K)$. It follows that $$\|y_m-y_n\|^2 \leqslant 2\|x-y_n\|^2 + 2\|x-y_m\|^2 - 4d^2.$$ When $m$ and $n$ are large, $\|x-y_n\|$ and $\|x-y_m\|$ are both close to $d$, and it follows that the right side of that inequality will be close to zero. It follows that $\|y_m-y_n\|^2$ on the left side of the inequality will also be close to zero. This shows that the sequence $(y_n)$ is Cauchy.

Ackbach said:
So $K$ is the open circle of radius $1$, centered at the origin, right? If you visualize the point $(2,0)$ relative to the circle, then the point on the boundary of the circle closest to $x$ is $(1,0)$. However, this point is not in the open circle. Consider the sequence $\{(1-1/n,0)\} \subset K$, and the distance from each of these points to $(2,0)$ in the Euclidean metric. Then those distances are $2-(1-1/n)=1+1/n$. If we take the infimum of these distances, we will see that it is $1$, and hence $d(x,K)=1$.

Could you explain it further to me? (Sweating)

Ackbach said:
See the following figure:
The point on the right is equidistant from the two different lobes on the left. The two circles on the left make a decidedly non-convex shape, and so you can see why the distance from a point to a set might not be unique if the set isn't convex.

Ah, I see... (Nod)

evinda said:
Could you explain it further to me? (Sweating)

Sure! Let me show you a picture:

View attachment 4990

Here I've included the Mathematica code I used to generate this plot. Now, the circle is shown filled, with a dotted line, to show that the boundary itself is not included in the circle (it's an open circle). The point is shown on the right with a blue dot. We're trying to find the distance from the point to the circle. Now, imagine any sequence of points converging to the right-most point of the circle, which is at $(1,0)$, and is clearly the point on the (closed) circle closest to the point $(2,0)$. The infimum of the distances from the sequence points to the point $(2,0)$ will be $1$, which is simply the Euclidean distance from $(1,0)$ to $(2,0)$.

Does that answer your question?

Attachments

• Evinda Analysis Question - Distance Circle Point.png
    Evinda Analysis Question - Distance Circle Point.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 58
Ackbach said:
Sure! Let me show you a picture:
Here I've included the Mathematica code I used to generate this plot. Now, the circle is shown filled, with a dotted line, to show that the boundary itself is not included in the circle (it's an open circle). The point is shown on the right with a blue dot. We're trying to find the distance from the point to the circle. Now, imagine any sequence of points converging to the right-most point of the circle, which is at $(1,0)$, and is clearly the point on the (closed) circle closest to the point $(2,0)$. The infimum of the distances from the sequence points to the point $(2,0)$ will be $1$, which is simply the Euclidean distance from $(1,0)$ to $(2,0)$.

Does that answer your question?

Yes, I got it... Thanks a lot! (Smirk)

Related to The distance is attained by a unique point

1. What does it mean for a distance to be attained by a unique point?

When a distance is attained by a unique point, it means that there is only one point in space that is exactly that distance away from a given reference point. This point is often referred to as the "attaining point".

2. How is the distance to a point calculated?

The distance to a point is calculated using the distance formula, which is the square root of the sum of the squared differences between the coordinates of the two points. This formula applies to any number of dimensions.

3. Can a distance be attained by more than one point?

No, a distance can only be attained by a unique point. If there were multiple points that were exactly the same distance away from a reference point, then they would essentially be the same point and not unique.

4. What is the significance of a distance being attained by a unique point?

A distance being attained by a unique point is significant because it allows for precise measurements and calculations in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It also helps to define and locate points in space.

5. Does the concept of a distance being attained by a unique point apply to all distances?

Yes, the concept of a distance being attained by a unique point applies to all distances, regardless of their length or dimension. It is a fundamental principle in geometry and is used in various applications in science and technology.