The fundamental group of preimage of covering map

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between inclusion and covering maps, and the conditions for the inverse image of a path-connected subset to also be path-connected. The conversation also mentions the fundamental groups of these subsets and provides a possible proof for the path-connectedness of the inverse image under certain assumptions. However, it is noted that this is not the complete explanation and further discussion is expected.
i: B to Y is an inclusion, p: X to Y is a covering map. Define $D=p^{-1}(B)$, we assume here B and Y are locally path-connected and semi-locally simply connected. The question 1: if B,Y, X are path-connected in what case D is path-connected (dependent on the fundamental groups)? 2 What's the fundamental group of D at some point?

Physics news on Phys.org
One can always find a path connected subset whose inverse image is not path connected if the covering is non-trivial.

Take any open set whose inverse image is a collection of disjoint open sets. Such a set always exists around any point in Y. Choose a path in this set. Its inverse image will not be path connected.

Last edited:
Likes zinq
My intuition is telling me that, under your assumptions, if the inclusion

i: B → Y​

is an isomorphism on the level of fundamental groups:

i#: π1(B,b) → π1(Y,b),​

then the inverse image of B under the covering map

p: X → Y,​

namely p-1(B), will be path-connected. I don't think the proof is difficult.

The above (#3) may be true, but it is definitely not the whole story. Stay tuned.

lavinia said:
One can always find a path connected subset whose inverse image is not path connected if the covering is non-trivial.

Take any open set whose inverse image is a collection of disjoint open sets. Such a set always exists around any point in Y. Choose a path in this set. Its inverse image will not be path connected.
Thanks

zinq said:
My intuition is telling me that, under your assumptions, if the inclusion

i: B → Y​

is an isomorphism on the level of fundamental groups:

i#: π1(B,b) → π1(Y,b),​

then the inverse image of B under the covering map

p: X → Y,​

namely p-1(B), will be path-connected. I don't think the proof is difficult.
Thanks

Related to The fundamental group of preimage of covering map

What is the fundamental group of preimage of a covering map?

The fundamental group of preimage of a covering map is a mathematical concept that relates to the study of topological spaces and their continuous mappings. It is a group that represents the set of all possible loops in the preimage space that can be continuously mapped to a given point in the covering space.

How is the fundamental group of preimage of a covering map calculated?

The fundamental group of preimage of a covering map is calculated using the concept of covering spaces and the fundamental group of the covering space. It involves finding the set of all possible loops in the preimage space and determining which ones can be continuously mapped to a given point in the covering space.

Why is the fundamental group of preimage of a covering map important?

The fundamental group of preimage of a covering map is an important mathematical concept as it helps us understand the topology of the preimage space and its relation to the covering space. It also has applications in various fields such as physics and engineering, where the study of continuous mappings is necessary.

What is the difference between the fundamental group of preimage and the fundamental group of the covering space?

While the fundamental group of preimage and the fundamental group of the covering space are related concepts, they represent different sets of loops. The fundamental group of preimage represents all possible loops in the preimage space, while the fundamental group of the covering space represents all possible loops in the covering space.

How does the fundamental group of preimage of a covering map relate to the fundamental group of the base space?

The fundamental group of preimage of a covering map is a subgroup of the fundamental group of the base space. This means that the set of all possible loops in the preimage space is a smaller subset of the set of all possible loops in the base space. This relationship is important in understanding the topological properties of the preimage space.