The polarization identity in Hilbert space

In summary, the polarization identity shows that the inner product of two vectors can be expressed as a combination of their norms and a complex conjugate of their "sum" and "difference" vectors. There is another version of the polarization identity that involves a linear operator on a Hilbert space, but it can be derived from the original form by expanding and rearranging terms. However, there is no easy way to prove this identity without using some of the properties of an inner product, and defining a new "inner product" using the operator T is not a valid approach. The term "polarization" comes from the fact that this identity involves the "polarization" of the vectors in different directions.
AxiomOfChoice
If we assume the inner product is linear in the second argument, the polarization identity reads

[tex]
(x,y) = \frac 14 \| x + y \|^2 - \frac 14 \| x - y \|^2 - \frac i4 \|x + iy\|^2 + \frac i4 \| x - iy \|^2.
[/tex]

But there is another identity that I've seen referred to in some texts as the "polarization identity", and it is as follows: If T is a linear operator on the Hilbert space, we have

[tex]
(x,Ty) = \frac 14 (x+y,T(x+y)) - \frac 14 (x-y,T(x-y)) - \frac i4 (x+iy,T(x+iy)) + \frac i4 (x-iy,T(x-iy)).
[/tex]

I've expanded this out and checked to make sure it's correct, and it is...but is there a quick and painless way to prove this by starting from the first polarization identity above? If so, I really don't see it...my professor seemed to indicate to us that if we defined a kind of ersatz "inner product" on H by letting [itex](x,y)_1 = (x,Ty)[/itex], then the result would follow if we wrote out the first polarization identity with the norm [itex]\| \cdot \|_1[/itex] instead. But is this really kosher?

Also, just out of curiosity...why is it appropriate to call this thing a "polarization" identity?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't worked out the details myself. However if you work out the squares of each of the terms in the first equation, all the square terms cancel and you will be left with the inner product terms, which should reproduce the second equation or some variant.

Your professor's method is not really kosher. The problem is that [itex](x,Ty)[/itex] does not define an inner product in general, but only if T is hermitian and positive semi-definite.

Of course, the polarization identity can (probably) be proven in the general case that (x,y) is a conjugate-bilinear map instead of an inner product. But you must really check that you did not use the other properties of an inner product.

Related to The polarization identity in Hilbert space

What is the polarization identity in Hilbert space?

The polarization identity is an important mathematical concept in Hilbert space, a type of vector space used in functional analysis. It states that any vector in a Hilbert space can be uniquely expressed as a linear combination of two orthogonal vectors, one in the positive direction and one in the negative direction. This identity is often used in quantum mechanics and other areas of physics.

What is the significance of the polarization identity in Hilbert space?

The polarization identity is significant because it allows us to decompose a vector into its components in a more meaningful way. It also has many important applications in quantum mechanics, including the definition of inner products and the derivation of the uncertainty principle.

How is the polarization identity related to inner products?

The polarization identity is closely related to inner products, which are a generalization of the dot product in Euclidean space. In fact, the polarization identity can be used to define the inner product in Hilbert space. It states that the inner product of two vectors can be expressed as the sum of their positive and negative components, multiplied by their lengths.

Are there any limitations to the polarization identity in Hilbert space?

Like any mathematical concept, the polarization identity has its limitations. It only applies to vectors in Hilbert space, and may not be applicable in other types of vector spaces. Additionally, the polarization identity is only valid for finite-dimensional Hilbert spaces; for infinite-dimensional spaces, a generalized version of the identity is used.

What are some real-world applications of the polarization identity in Hilbert space?

The polarization identity has many applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics. It is used to define the inner product and derive important concepts such as the uncertainty principle and the Schrödinger equation. It also has applications in signal processing and image reconstruction, where it is used to improve the quality and resolution of images and signals.