Is the Unit Interval [0,1] Open in Its Inherited Topology from the Real Line?

I appreciate it.In summary, the conversation discusses the topology of the unit interval I=[0,1] inherited from the real line with its usual topology. The open subsets of 'I' are the intersection of a usual open interval and 'I', making 'I' itself a open subset of the inherited topology. Some sets in the subspace may be open even if they are not open in the larger space. The conversation also mentions how [0, 1] and [0, 1) behave as open sets in the subspace.
dapias09
Hi all,
I need help with something basic but I'm not sure how to handle it. The doubt is about how to consider the topology of the unit interval I=[0,1] inherited of the real line with its usual topology (intervals of the type (a,b)).

I think that is just to pay attention to the definition, I mean, the open subsets of 'I' would be the intersection of a usual open interval and 'I'. In this way, 'I' itself would be a open subset of the inherited topology, and all the sets of the form [0,x), (a,b) and (y,1] -with 0 < x,a,b,y <1 - would be open sets of the inherited topology.

Please, can anyone tell me if I'm right?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds about right.

Note that some sets in the subspace are open sets even if they aren't open in the larger space.

For instance, [0, 1] is closed in R. But when we consider [0, 1] as a subspace, it's open (because the entire topological space is required to be open in any topology).

Similarly, [0, 1), which is neither open nor closed in R is open in [0, 1].

Thank you Tac-Tics

Related to Is the Unit Interval [0,1] Open in Its Inherited Topology from the Real Line?

What is the unit interval?

The unit interval is a mathematical concept that refers to the interval or line segment from 0 to 1, including both endpoints. It is often represented as [0,1] in mathematical notation.

What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric spaces that remain unchanged under continuous transformations, such as stretching, bending, and twisting. It is concerned with the properties of space that are preserved under these transformations, rather than specific measurements or distances.

What does the topology of the unit interval refer to?

The topology of the unit interval refers to the study of the open sets, closed sets, and continuous functions on the unit interval. It also involves understanding the various ways in which the unit interval can be connected or divided into smaller intervals.

What are some examples of topologies on the unit interval?

Some examples of topologies on the unit interval include the Euclidean topology, the discrete topology, and the standard topology. Each of these topologies has different properties and characteristics, which can be studied and compared in relation to the unit interval.

What is the significance of the topology of the unit interval?

The topology of the unit interval has applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It also serves as a fundamental building block in the study of more complex topological spaces and can help in understanding the properties of continuous functions and their behavior on the unit interval.