Troubleshooting Norton AV Uninstallation on a 2006 PC

In summary, using Norton's uninstaller may not be enough to remove the software, and you may need to delete the system files and registry entries as well.
Darken-Sol
i am trying to clean up a pc for a friend but i can't get rid of norton av. went to add/delete selected remove it started uninstallation and encountered an error. after like ten minutes it said that it could not uninstall. it is a 2006 version of norton. help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
There is a norton uninstaller available from Norton. Use this it should work.

If that fails try booting into a Linux live CD and deleting all of the Norton AV files. If you can copy all of your friend's documents to an external drive, it may be easier (and better performance wise) to format the drive and reinstall from scratch, assuming you have the required installation disks.

i don't have the space to copy all his files. i have my xp professional i could give him and start from scratch. i think he got his cpu from a pawny. i was hoping to avoid this. i'll try the uninstaller first. thanx. random question: why do people pin every possible program to their startup menu, then complain about loading time? hey thanks for the help

Have you tried deleting it in safe mode?

You can't just delete the files. There's drivers and registry entries related to complex AVs like Norton. It's possible, but more complex than you seem to think. That method, if done incorrectly, will leave you with more stuff wrong than just leaving it alone. Use their uninstaller, and if that doesn't work, contact their user support.

the removal tool looks promising the hang up is pcanywhere. if i try uninstalling this i get error 1237. invalid drive: I:\.

i fixed it. i ended up just slaving it to an old drive i had, then deleting the system files for symantic. i also deleted the registry files for symantic. then i unslaved it and hooked her back up and ran glary utilities. i know this is not the proper way but i was at my wits end. i had no cd, no drive i(ithink it was a server or something) and all the info i could gather seemed to need these things to remove it. there seems to be no adverse effects.

Chronos said:
Have you tried deleting it in safe mode?

tried but was denied acces to those files

TylerH said:
You can't just delete the files. There's drivers and registry entries related to complex AVs like Norton. It's possible, but more complex than you seem to think. That method, if done incorrectly, will leave you with more stuff wrong than just leaving it alone. Use their uninstaller, and if that doesn't work, contact their user support.

contacted support and they never got back to me. also he got it at a pawn shop so no resource cd. I'm interested in the stuff that could go wrong, because i deleted all the files already.

Related to Troubleshooting Norton AV Uninstallation on a 2006 PC

1. Why am I having trouble uninstalling Norton Antivirus on my 2006 PC?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to corrupt installation files, conflicting software, or a virus preventing the uninstallation. It is also possible that the Norton Antivirus program is still running in the background, making it difficult to uninstall.

2. How can I troubleshoot the uninstallation process?

First, try using the Norton Removal Tool, which is specifically designed to remove Norton products. If that doesn't work, you can try booting your computer into Safe Mode and then attempting to uninstall. You can also try using a third-party uninstaller program or manually deleting the Norton files and registry entries.

3. Is it safe to use a third-party uninstaller?

It is generally safe to use a well-known and reputable third-party uninstaller program. However, be cautious when downloading and using any software from the internet, as it may contain viruses or malware.

4. Do I need to uninstall Norton Antivirus before installing a new antivirus program?

Yes, it is recommended to uninstall any existing antivirus program before installing a new one. Having multiple antivirus programs installed can cause conflicts and decrease the effectiveness of the software.

5. What should I do if I am still unable to uninstall Norton Antivirus?

If you have tried all the troubleshooting steps and are still unable to uninstall Norton Antivirus, you may need to contact Norton customer support for further assistance. They may be able to provide specific instructions or remote assistance to help resolve the issue.