Trying to remember what Theorem this is.

• Thread starter Poopsilon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: In fact, he might have been referring to a different concept altogether. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "neighborhood"?
Poopsilon
I vaguely recollect that the following statement is true:

Let f be analytic on a connected set D, then if f is constant on some nonempty open subset of D then it is constant on all of D.

Can anyone confirm that this is true and is it a specific theorem? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah yes, thank you, and while I have your attention, what does it mean to say that a function is defined in a neighborhood of the unit disk? I know what it means for it to be defined in a neighborhood of a point, but I can't figure out what this means. I can't tell if it means some neighborhood inside of the unit disk, or some neighborhood which contains an open ball which contains the unit disk.

I recall my Calculus -II professor doing examples on the blackboard where the "neighbourhood" of the unit disk meant within the unit disk in a fixed plane. A unit disk is determined along two axes xy, yz, or xz. Well the function would be defined for all x<1 and y<1 where z is constant if the unit disk is defined along the xy plane. That is the function would not be defined on an open ball containing the unit disk but it means that if a unit disk us defuned along any two axes (xy, yz ,xz) then the function would be defined as long as those two variables ( x,y,z) are less than 1 and the third variable is constant.

Hope that makes sense.

hivesaeed4 said:
I recall my Calculus -II professor doing examples on the blackboard where the "neighbourhood" of the unit disk meant within the unit disk in a fixed plane. A unit disk is determined along two axes xy, yz, or xz. Well the function would be defined for all x<1 and y<1 where z is constant if the unit disk is defined along the xy plane. That is the function would not be defined on an open ball containing the unit disk but it means that if a unit disk us defuned along any two axes (xy, yz ,xz) then the function would be defined as long as those two variables ( x,y,z) are less than 1 and the third variable is constant.

Hope that makes sense.

Hmm, my Calc II teacher never mentioned anything about a unit disk.

Related to Trying to remember what Theorem this is.

What is the definition of a theorem?

A theorem is a statement that has been proven to be true using logical reasoning and previously established facts or axioms.

How do scientists determine the validity of a theorem?

Scientists use mathematical proofs and experiments to verify the validity of a theorem.

Are there different types of theorems?

Yes, there are different types of theorems such as geometric theorems, algebraic theorems, and probabilistic theorems.

How do theorems contribute to scientific progress?

Theorems allow scientists to make predictions and draw conclusions based on established facts and principles, leading to further discoveries and advancements in a particular field.

Can theorems ever be proven wrong?

Yes, theorems can be proven wrong if new evidence or contradictory results are found. In this case, the theorem may be revised or replaced with a new one.