Understanding Kidney Beaning in Wide Field Eyepieces

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter sophiecentaur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hole
In summary: What is it?In summary, the dark region in the middle of the view is likely caused by the obstruction of the secondary mirror in a Newtonian style telescope and can be avoided by moving the head a bit.
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I bought myself a nice 32mm (2" fitting) eyepiece with a 'wide view'. I was disappointed to see a dark patching the middle when I looked through the scope in daylight. I have never been aware of this when looking at (brilliant) wide objects at night. With its wide angle view, it gives the impression of looking out of the spacecraft window. I bumped into a Q and A about various things and it did include this question. The given answer was because of the wide exit pupil of the lens and the narrow aperture of the eye in daylight.
I wonder if anyone has a source of a diagram that would make that explanation any clearer. I can't sketch anything out that convinces me.
At least reading about it implies my lens is not, as I first thought, a duffer.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Can I as it the instrument has a central obstruction ? Normally if the exit pupil if wider than your eyes pupil you just loose light.
Regards Andrew

PS At low magnification you can see the central obstruction if the exit pupil is larger than eyes pupil. I came across this a long time ago when playing with a short focus reflector with a large central obstruction. In fact I could look round it as I shifted my head across the exit pupil

Here's some (poorly done) raytraces I made real quick by hand. Hopefully the forum doesn't bug out and eat them. And hopefully you can read them. None of this is drawn to scale.

A. Three on-axis rays coming into the telescope. The dashed line represents the path the blocked ray would have taken.
20170426_142052_HDR.jpg

B. Rays entering and exiting eyepiece. Note that the dashed ray from earlier would exit the eyepiece closer to the axis than the other rays.
20170426_142041_HDR.jpg

C. Rays after leaving the eyepiece and entering the eye. The dark-adapted eye accepts all the rays while the day-adapted eye rejects all the rays because of the size of the pupil.
20170426_142001_HDR.jpg

andrew s 1905 said:
Can I as it the instrument has a central obstruction ? Normally if the exit pupil if wider than your eyes pupil you just loose light.
Regards Andrew

PS At low magnification you can see the central obstruction if the exit pupil is larger than eyes pupil. I came across this a long time ago when playing with a short focus reflector with a large central obstruction. In fact I could look round it as I shifted my head across the exit pupil

Drakkith said:
Here's some (poorly done) raytraces I made real quick by hand. Hopefully the forum doesn't bug out and eat them. And hopefully you can read them. None of this is drawn to scale.

A. Three on-axis rays coming into the telescope. The dashed line represents the path the blocked ray would have taken.
View attachment 197203
B. Rays entering and exiting eyepiece. Note that the dashed ray from earlier would exit the eyepiece closer to the axis than the other rays.
View attachment 197204
C. Rays after leaving the eyepiece and entering the eye. The dark-adapted eye accepts all the rays while the day-adapted eye rejects all the rays because of the size of the pupil.
View attachment 197205
Thanks a lot chaps. I knew PF would sort me out on this one. That dark region really does look like an 'obstruction' that you can avoid by moving the head a bit.Pupil / teacher jokes: AAArrrrgh! o_O

sophiecentaur said:
I bought myself a nice 32mm (2" fitting) eyepiece with a 'wide view'. I was disappointed to see a dark patching the middle when I looked through the scope in daylight.

I will assume the telescope is a Newtonian style one
and if so, the darkened area in the middle of the view is likely to be the obscuration caused by the secondary mirror

It will more obvious at some focus points than others ( depending on if you are focussing on a nearby object (tree at the end of your back yard)
or an object at infinity focussing ( something at least a few km's away and out to stars, moon etc)

Dave

Likes jedishrfu and sophiecentaur
What you are describing sounds like kidney beaning, an issue common with wide field eyepieces. You can compensate by keeping your eye centered on the optical axis of the EP or backing away slightly from the eyepiece. It is especially noticeable when your pupil is not fully dilated - e.g., in daylight.

Chronos said:
What you are describing sounds like kidney beaning, an issue common with wide field eyepieces. You can compensate by keeping your eye centered on the optical axis of the EP or backing away slightly from the eyepiece. It is especially noticeable when your pupil is not fully dilated - e.g., in daylight.
I looked at a number of links which discuss kidney beaning and I am not sure it that's what I have been seeing. Strangely, I could only find one image from a google search. Afair, what I have seen is not the same as the picture below.
image017.jpg

Related to Understanding Kidney Beaning in Wide Field Eyepieces

1. How is a dark hole formed?

A dark hole, also known as a black hole, is formed when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself due to its own gravity. This collapse creates a singularity, a point of infinite density, surrounded by an event horizon, the boundary where the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light.

2. What causes a dark hole to form?

A dark hole is formed due to the intense gravitational pull of a dying star. As the star runs out of nuclear fuel, it can no longer support its own weight, leading to a rapid collapse. The gravity of the collapsing star becomes so strong that it creates a point of infinite density, which is the black hole.

3. How big can a dark hole get?

The size of a black hole is determined by its mass. The more massive a black hole is, the larger its event horizon will be. There is no known limit to the size of a black hole, but the largest ones are thought to be billions of times the mass of our sun.

4. Can dark holes be seen?

No, dark holes cannot be seen directly because they do not emit any light. However, the effects of a black hole's intense gravity can be observed, such as the distortion of light from stars and gas around it, or the emission of X-rays from matter being pulled into the black hole.

5. Are there different types of dark holes?

There are three types of black holes: stellar, intermediate, and supermassive. Stellar black holes are formed from the collapse of a single massive star, while intermediate black holes are thought to be formed from the merging of smaller black holes. Supermassive black holes are found at the center of most galaxies and are millions or even billions of times more massive than our sun.