Understanding the Importance of Limits in Calculus

• Thread starter kenewbie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary: Try sin(x) / x as x --> 0.\lim_{x\to 2}\frac{3x^2-12}{x-2} = \lim_{x\to 2}\frac{3(x-2)(x+2)}{x-2} = \lim_{x\to 2}\frac{3(x+2)}{1} = 3*(2+2) = 12
kenewbie
[tex]
\lim_{x\to 2}\frac{3x^2-12}{x-2} = \lim_{x\to 2}\frac{3(x-2)(x+2)}{x-2} = \lim_{x\to 2}\frac{3(x+2)}{1} = 3*(2+2) = 12
[/tex]

This gives the exact same result as reducing the expression would do.

[tex]
\frac{3x^2-12}{x-2} = 3(x+2)
[/tex]

I can see nothing but benefits by doing this, I get the same values for all X, and at x = 2 I no longer have a division by zero, rather I get 12 (which is the limit of the original expression at x = 2 anyway).

So what do I need the limits for? All the examples my book has of limits can be solved by simply reducing the expression to a simpler form instead.

Is my book just bad?

k

Physics news on Phys.org
Try sin(x) / x as x --> 0.

kenewbie said:
[tex]
\lim_{x\to 2}\frac{3x^2-12}{x-2} = \lim_{x\to 2}\frac{3(x-2)(x+2)}{x-2} = \lim_{x\to 2}\frac{3(x+2)}{1} = 3*(2+2) = 12
[/tex]

This gives the exact same result as reducing the expression would do.

[tex]
\frac{3x^2-12}{x-2} = 3(x+2)
[/tex]
No it doesn't. (3x2 - 12)/(x - 2) is not defined for x = 2, while 3(x + 2) is defined for all real numbers. What you have done to simplify the expression on the left is to factor out (x - 2)/(x - 2), which is 1 as long as x != 2. If x = 2, this expression is undefined. The whole point of limits is to be able to determine the value of some expression for values of x near some specific number.
kenewbie said:
I can see nothing but benefits by doing this, I get the same values for all X, and at x = 2 I no longer have a division by zero, rather I get 12 (which is the limit of the original expression at x = 2 anyway).

So what do I need the limits for? All the examples my book has of limits can be solved by simply reducing the expression to a simpler form instead.

Is my book just bad?
Probably not, but I don't know what book you're using. What they are doing is starting with simple examples of limits, and will probably go to more involved examples (such as lim (sin x)/x as LCKurtz mentioned) that are not amenable to such simple tricks.
kenewbie said:
k

Related to Understanding the Importance of Limits in Calculus

1. Why is it important to have limits?

Limits are important because they help us establish boundaries and guidelines for our behavior. They allow us to stay safe, maintain healthy relationships, and achieve our goals. Without limits, we may engage in harmful or destructive behaviors that could have negative consequences.

2. How do limits benefit our mental health?

Limits can benefit our mental health in various ways. They can reduce stress and anxiety by providing structure and predictability in our lives. Limits can also help us manage our emotions and improve our self-control. By setting limits, we can also improve our self-esteem and sense of self-worth.

3. Can having too many limits be harmful?

Yes, having too many limits can be harmful. If we have too many restrictions and rules in our lives, it can lead to feelings of frustration, resentment, and rebellion. It's important to find a balance and set limits that are reasonable and necessary for our well-being.

4. What are some common misconceptions about limits?

One common misconception about limits is that they are restrictive and limiting. In reality, limits can actually promote freedom and empowerment by helping us make better choices and avoiding negative consequences. Another misconception is that limits are only necessary for children, but in reality, adults also benefit from having limits in their lives.

5. How can we effectively set and enforce limits?

To effectively set and enforce limits, it's important to communicate clearly and consistently. Be specific about the behaviors that are not acceptable and the consequences for breaking the limits. It's also important to be firm and follow through with consequences when limits are crossed. Additionally, be open to negotiations and compromises when appropriate.