Understanding the Laurent Series of $\frac{1}{z(z-1)(z-2)}$

In summary, the Laurent series for $ f(z) = \frac{1}{z(z-1)(z-2)} $ has three annuli of convergence: 0 < |z| < 1, 1 < |z| < 2, and |z| > 2. The series for each annulus is given by $ f(z) = \frac{1}{2z} + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{z}^{n}- \frac{1}{4}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\frac{z}{2})^n $ for 0 < |z| < 1, $ f(z
ognik
Blundering on, this problem will help me confirm what I think I know ...

Find the Laurent series for $ f(z) = \frac{1}{z(z-1)(z-2)} = \frac{1}{2z}+\frac{1}{1-z} -\frac{1}{4}\frac{1}{1-\frac{z}{2}} $
I found this definition of the LS: $ f(z) = \sum_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{a}_{n}(z-{z}_{0})^n = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a}_{n}(z-{z}_{0})^n + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{a}_{n}(z-{z}_{0})^{-n}$ Shouldn't the '+' be a '-'?

So singularities (poles) at 0, 1 & 2 , so I have 3 Annuli(r,R;centre) = Ann(0,1;(0)), Ann(1,2;(0)), Ann(2,infinity;(0))

1) Ann(0,1;(0))
0 < |z| : $ f(z) = \frac{1}{2z} - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{z}^{-n} - \frac{1}{4} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (\frac{2}{z})^n $ is the Laurent series part?
|z| < 1: $ f(z) = \frac{1}{2z} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{z}^{n} + \frac{1}{4} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (\frac{z}{2})^n $ is the Taylor series part?

However, for the annulus enclosed by 0 < |z| < 1, we only need the Taylor series part above? The pole at z=0 is covered by the 1st term of the series, and the Taylor series covers |z| < 1?

What puzzles me is that the 3rd term is $ |\frac{z}{2}| < 1, IE. |z| < 2 $?
Appreciate all corrections and advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
I found this definition of the LS: $ f(z) = \sum_{-\infty}^{+\infty}{a}_{n}(z-{z}_{0})^n = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a}_{n}(z-{z}_{0})^n + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{a}_{n}(z-{z}_{0})^{-n}$ Shouldn't the '+' be a '-'?

The coefficients $a_n$ are univocally determined, then you need not to write $-.$ Now, denote $$f_1(z)=\dfrac{1}{z},\quad f_2(z)=\dfrac{1}{1-z},\quad f_3(z)=\dfrac{1}{1-z/2}.$$ So, $$f(z)=\frac{1}{2}f_1(z)+f_2(z)-\frac{1}{4}f_3(z).$$ Using the well known theorem about the geometric series

$$f_1(z)=\frac{1}{z}\quad (|z|>0)$$ $$f_2(z)=\dfrac{1}{1-z}=\left \{ \begin{matrix} \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}z^n\quad (0<|z|<1)\quad (S_1)\\-\dfrac{1}{z}\dfrac{1}{1-1/z}=-\displaystyle\frac{1}{z}\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}\dfrac{1}{z^{n}}=- \sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}\dfrac{1}{z^{n+1}}\quad (1<|z|)\quad (S_2)\end{matrix}\right.$$ $$f_3(z)=\dfrac{1}{1-z/2}=\left \{ \begin{matrix} \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}\frac{z^n}{2^n}\quad (0<|z|<2)\quad (S_3)\\-\dfrac{2}{z}\dfrac{1}{1-2/z}=-\displaystyle\frac{2}{z}\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}\dfrac{1}{(2z)^{n}}=- \sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}\dfrac{1}{2^{n-1}z^{n+1}}\quad (2<|z|)\quad (S_4)\end{matrix}\right.$$ Then, $$f(z)=\left \{ \begin{matrix} \dfrac{1}{2z}+S_1-\dfrac{1}{4}S_3=\ldots &\text{if}& 0<|z|<1\\\dfrac{1}{2z}+S_2-\dfrac{1}{4}S_3=\ldots &\text{if}& 1<|z|<2\\ \dfrac{1}{2z}+S_2-\dfrac{1}{4}S_4=\ldots &\text{if}& 2<|z|<+\infty \end{matrix}\right.$$

Last edited:
I think you're using a slightly different approach to the one I used, but we seem to end up with basically the same terms, for example for your S2 I have $ - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{{z}^{n}} $ - because my lower limit (for LS terms) is n=1, they are the same are they not? I just found the method I used easier for me personally to remember and use.

I was looking first at the 1st annulus to make sure my approach was right, before doing the others - this seems to have been a bad idea :-)

The question then comes down to how to decide which annulus each term belongs, looking at your solution was most helpful - it confirms some of the terms can appear in more than 1 region.

Just to check though, please confirm my overall solution is:

$ f(z) = \frac{1}{2z} + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{z}^{n}- \frac{1}{4}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\frac{z}{2})^n $, 0 < |z| < 1

$ = \frac{1}{2z} - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{z}^{-n}- \frac{1}{4}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\frac{z}{2})^n $, 1 < |z| < 2

$ = \frac{1}{2z} - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{z}^{-n}- \frac{1}{4}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (\frac{2}{z})^n $, |z| > 2

ognik said:
Just to check though, please confirm my overall solution is:

$ f(z) = \frac{1}{2z} + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{z}^{n}- \frac{1}{4}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\frac{z}{2})^n $, 0 < |z| < 1

$ = \frac{1}{2z} - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{z}^{-n}- \frac{1}{4}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (\frac{z}{2})^n $, 1 < |z| < 2

$ = \frac{1}{2z} - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{z}^{-n}- \frac{1}{4}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (\frac{2}{z})^n $, |z| > 2
Right.

Much appreciated Fernando

Related to Understanding the Laurent Series of $\frac{1}{z(z-1)(z-2)}$

What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a type of power series that represents a complex function in the form of an infinite sum of terms. It includes both positive and negative powers of the variable, making it useful for representing functions with poles or essential singularities.

How do you find the Laurent series of a function?

To find the Laurent series of a function, you need to first identify any singularities (such as poles or essential singularities) within the function's domain. Then, use the formula for the Laurent series, which involves taking the Cauchy integral of the function around the singularity. This will result in a series with both positive and negative powers of the variable.

What is a singularity in the context of a Laurent series?

In the context of a Laurent series, a singularity is a point where a function becomes infinite or undefined. This can happen when the function has a pole (a point where the function approaches infinity) or an essential singularity (a point where the function has no limit).

Can a function have more than one Laurent series?

Yes, a function can have multiple Laurent series that represent it within different regions of its domain. For example, a function may have a different Laurent series for the region inside a circle compared to the region outside the circle. These different series may also have different convergence properties.

What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Laurent series?

The main difference between a Taylor series and a Laurent series is that a Taylor series only includes positive powers of the variable, while a Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers. This makes Laurent series more useful for representing functions with singularities, while Taylor series are better for representing smooth, analytic functions.