Understanding the Universe: Cosmological Limitations and the Multiverse

• Thread starter Macro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary: Quantum Mechanics with a few extra dimensions tacked on.In summary, General Relativity does not contain any reference to anything external or outside of the universe. The concept of multiverses is just multiple universes existing at the same time, all using the same dimensions. This concept does not require God or any other external agent.
Macro
What we know about cosmology precludes any Multiverse. We know that the universe had a beginning as a singularity and is now expanding at an accelerating rate. This means its future is infinite. And if there is no future collapse then there can be no prior collapse and thus no previous universe.

As far as the multiverse is concerned it doesn't exist in the same dimensions as this universe. In other words the universe is potentially infinite in size by its infinite future. So where is it going to fit in a multiverse of our 3 dimensions?

No. The universe has no spatial outside and therefore is not in something bigger. Religious people have no problem with this; with creation out of nothing; but without God the atheists have to put the universe into something bigger.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Macro said:
What we know about cosmology precludes any Multiverse. We know that the universe had a beginning as a singularity and is now expanding at an accelerating rate. This means its future is infinite. And if there is no future collapse then there can be no prior collapse and thus no previous universe.
As far as the multiverse is concerned it doesn't exist in the same dimensions as this universe. In other words the universe is potentially infinite in size by its infinite future. So where is it going to fit in a multiverse of our 3 dimensions?
No. The universe has no spatial outside and therefore is not in something bigger. Religious people have no problem with this; with creation out of nothing; but without God the atheists have to put the universe into something bigger. :-p

Doesn't General Relativity specifically discuss intrinsic geometry and therefore contains no reference to anything external or outside the universe?

Atheist don't have to do anything. They don't even need to exist to be without a belief in 'God'. This is how all people are born and when we die we will all be atheists again, if we were ever anything else. Some religionist seem to have to put words in other peoples mouths in attempts to justify their own beliefs.

Macro said:

To my understanding (and someone please correct me if I'm mistaken) there are actually 11 dimensions within the universe that makes up and defines our reality of the universe that we think that we exist within.

Also to my understanding the energy that makes up all matter and all things within the universe('s) exist via vibrations of the space time fabric itself, according to the strings M-theory.

The concept of multiverses is just multiple universes existing at the same time in a parallel universe fashion, all using the same dimensions (just variations of).

To try and explain it, it is sort of like having multiple television shows being broadcasted at the same time over one cable, using the same energy for all channels within the cable, just the energy is being vibrated differently at different frequencies on each channel within the one cable which causes only that channel being viewed to be seen. Although I can think of several other ways to describe it, I'm not sure of any 'simpler' way to describe the multiverse concept.

Hope this helps.

Macro said:
And if there is no future collapse then there can be no prior collapse and thus no previous universe.
Please explain the logic here. Why does no future collapse mean there was no previous collapse?

speso72 said:
To my understanding (and someone please correct me if I'm mistaken) there are actually 11 dimensions within the universe that makes up and defines our reality of the universe that we think that we exist within.
Also to my understanding the energy that makes up all matter and all things within the universe('s) exist via vibrations of the space time fabric itself, according to the strings M-theory.
The concept of multiverses is just multiple universes existing at the same time in a parallel universe fashion, all using the same dimensions (just variations of).
To try and explain it, it is sort of like having multiple television shows being broadcasted at the same time over one cable, using the same energy for all channels within the cable, just the energy is being vibrated differently at different frequencies on each channel within the one cable which causes only that channel being viewed to be seen. Although I can think of several other ways to describe it, I'm not sure of any 'simpler' way to describe the multiverse concept.
Hope this helps.
11 dimensions and parallel universes ? My God :devil: You perhaps forgot to tell that your M-theory does not exist and that it is merely the wet dream of every desperate string theorist who realizes that supersymmetry isn't of our world either. The only universe I know is the one I live in, this one has four observable dimensions and I do not see any universes ``branching off´´, neither do I see any need for more (unobservable) dimensions :smile:.

Careful said:
11 dimensions and parallel universes ? My God :devil: You perhaps forgot to tell that your M-theory does not exist and that it is merely the wet dream of every desperate string theorist who realizes that supersymmetry isn't of our world either. The only universe I know is the one I live in, this one has four observable dimensions and I do not see any universes ``branching off´´, neither do I see any need for more (unobservable) dimensions :smile:.
Do you see the need for a nickel-iron core at the centre of the Earth? Apparently if you can't see it, it doesn't exist.

DaveC426913 said:
Do you see the need for a nickel-iron core at the centre of the Earth? Apparently if you can't see it, it doesn't exist.
Well, basically i do see a need for that. Such as? Well, have you ever seen the movei "The Core"? It is absolutely unscientific, but it does give you a good hint of the things that would happen when our dearly beloved ball of nickle-iron would suddenly vanish out of the time-space continuum with the sound of 100,000 people saying "whop".

Indeed, I love the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, but I hate the movie.

'Knowledge' which can not be reduced through a process of reason, and thereby related, to perceptual data are simply floating abstractions. Such un-based 'knowledge' is not only useless due to a lack of understanding but attempts to employ it can be dangerous in its consequences. Proof regarding the existence or properties of something must be derived from or at least undergo the process of reduction to knowledge grounded in previously understood perceptually based observations.

Last edited:
Dmstifik8ion said:
'Knowledge' which can not be reduced through a process of reason, and thereby related, to perceptual data are simply floating abstractions. Such un-based 'knowledge' is not only useless due to a lack of understanding but attempts to employ it can be dangerous in its consequences. Proof regarding the existence or properties of something must be derived from or at least undergo the process of reduction to knowledge grounded in previously understood perceptually based observations.
Exactly ! :smile:
DaveC426913 seems to have forgotten that.

Related to Understanding the Universe: Cosmological Limitations and the Multiverse

1. What is the current understanding of the size and age of the universe?

According to the most recent measurements and observations, the observable universe is estimated to be around 93 billion light years in diameter and approximately 13.8 billion years old. However, it is important to note that the actual size and age of the universe may be significantly larger and older, as our current technology only allows us to observe a small fraction of the entire universe.

2. What are the limitations of our understanding of the universe?

One of the main limitations in understanding the universe is the fact that we can only observe a small portion of it, known as the observable universe. This is due to the finite speed of light and the expansion of the universe, which makes it impossible for us to see objects beyond a certain distance. Additionally, our current theories and models may also have limitations and may need to be revised as we continue to gather more data about the universe.

3. What is the concept of the multiverse and how does it relate to our understanding of the universe?

The multiverse theory suggests that there may be multiple universes, each with its own set of physical laws and properties. This theory is still highly debated in the scientific community and is not currently supported by concrete evidence. However, some scientists propose that the concept of a multiverse could help explain certain cosmological limitations and phenomena that cannot be explained by our current understanding of the universe.

4. How do scientists study and gather data about the universe?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study the universe, including telescopes, satellites, and ground-based observatories. They also use mathematical models and computer simulations to analyze and interpret the data collected from these observations. In addition, scientists also conduct experiments to test and validate their theories and hypotheses about the universe.

5. What are some of the biggest unanswered questions about the universe?

There are many unanswered questions about the universe, but some of the most pressing ones include: What is the nature of dark matter and dark energy, which are thought to make up the majority of the universe's mass and energy? What is the ultimate fate of the universe? How did the universe begin and what caused the Big Bang? These are just a few of the many mysteries that scientists are still trying to unravel about the universe.