Upgrading my High School Physics mark

In summary, the student is having difficulty understanding the material in class and is looking for advice on how to improve. The student has time management issues and is trying to do a large number of problems in the allotted time.
Starrk
Hi Physics Forum! This is my first post
I enrolled in adult education for Pre-calculus 12 and Physics 12.
My marks weren't too good coming out of high school because of personal reasons. Anyway, in terms of Pre-calculus I can do it with my eyes closed. But when it comes to physics all I can do in class is keep my eyes closed.I took physics 12 back in High school but dropped out because of time table issues. I took physics 11 and didn't understand a single topic but managed to pass with an 80%. But, Physics 12 is just a mess and I'm not to sure where to start:
  • The first test of the course was a review of physics 11 (Kinematics, 2D Vectors, and Dynamics) which I scored 22/37.
  • The second test was on (what I understand to be) Circular motion, Work, Energy, Power, Momentum, and Gravitation and my mark is not worth mentioning
  • And the coming test is on Torque, Equilibrium, and I believe Static Electricity
So the problem is I don't understand what's going on in class. I'm in a really bad spot because I need this mark! I'm planning on going into Human Kinetics and I also need to upgrade other courses but Physics is a priority for me. I am open to any form of advice as to how to grasp this course. I do get a rewrite for one test at the end of the term so I can't afford to low ball another test.

Physics news on Phys.org
You mention pre-calculus, but not calculus. Does the material in the physics course use calculus? Does it attempt to introduce calculus?

Short-term:

1) Go to Khan Academy and start watching videos and doing problems related to your upcoming test.

in parallel with step 1 do steps 2 thru 4.

2) Work with other students to study for the upcoming test. Make sure you an do all the assigned homework.

3) Look at the example problems in the book and make sure you understand and can reproduce them without referring to the book.

4) Look other problems that weren't assigned and see if you an do them. Figure out what you don't know and focus on learning it.

Longer-term prepping for your final or mid-term:

5) Go back through your tests and identify what you got wrong work with other students or get a tutor to help you understand why you got them wrong.

6) Go back through your homeworks again and making you can do them.

7) Go back through your book and look at the example problems and make sure you can do them

8) REview Khan Academy videos related to each topic that gave you

** DON'T dwell too long spinning your wheels on a problem you can't do note it, skip and get help later.

8) Write down key formulas that you may need for your test and keep them in mind as you do your problems.

Test time:

9) Write down any hard to remember formulas or facts somewhere on your test paper so you can easily refer to them. It shouldn't be more than a few lines at most.

10) Keep time management in mind, allotting X minutes per problem. Do the easier ones first, skip the harder ones and go back to do them.

** Remember you're trying to optimize the number of problems you do right in the time allotted.

Likes Starrk

Related to Upgrading my High School Physics mark

1. How much will upgrading my high school physics mark improve my overall grade?

Upgrading your high school physics mark can potentially have a significant impact on your overall grade, depending on how much your original mark was and how much you are able to improve it. Every school and university has different grading systems, so it is best to check with your academic advisor to determine the exact impact on your overall grade.

2. Can I upgrade my high school physics mark after I have graduated?

It is possible to upgrade your high school physics mark after you have graduated, but it may be more challenging as you will have to arrange to take the exam independently and may not have access to resources such as study materials or a teacher to guide you. It is recommended to upgrade your mark while you are still enrolled in high school.

3. How long will it take for me to upgrade my high school physics mark?

The time it takes to upgrade your high school physics mark will depend on several factors, such as your current grade, how much you need to improve, and how much time you are able to dedicate to studying. It is best to plan ahead and give yourself enough time to thoroughly review the material and practice before taking the exam.

4. Can I upgrade my high school physics mark for a specific university program?

In most cases, universities will only consider your highest mark for a specific course, regardless of how many times you have attempted to upgrade it. However, it is always best to check with the specific university and program you are interested in to confirm their policies regarding upgrading marks.

5. Are there any resources available to help me prepare for upgrading my high school physics mark?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you prepare for upgrading your high school physics mark, such as study guides, online tutorials, and practice exams. It is also recommended to reach out to your former physics teacher for guidance and additional resources. Additionally, some schools may offer review sessions or tutoring services to help students prepare for exams.