Verifying PDE solutions using Mathematica

In summary: Maybe the initial conditions are important?In summary, the discussion is about verifying a solution to a partial differential equation in Mathematica. The solution is entered into the equation and simplified, but there are issues with assigning variables and using the Simplify function. The conversation also mentions using Reduce instead of Simplify and using different identities to simplify the equation. Ultimately, the graph of the solution is shown for certain values of t.
blintaro
Hello physicists,

Pretty new to Mathematica here. I'm looking to verify that $$P(s,\tilde{t}|_{s_0}) = 2\tilde{b}_{\rho} \frac{s^{\alpha+1}}{\check{s_0}^{\alpha}}I_{\alpha}(2\tilde{b}_{\rho}s\check{s}_0)exp[-\tilde{b}_{\rho}(s^2+\check{s_0}^2)]$$
Is a solution to
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial{\tilde{t}}}P(s, \tilde{t}) = \frac{\partial}{\partial s}[(2b_{\rho}s - \frac{\rho}{s})P(s,\tilde{t})] + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial s^2}[P(s,\tilde{t})]$$

Where $$\alpha = \frac{\rho - 1}{2}$$ $$\tilde{b}_{\rho} = \frac{b_{\rho}}{1-e^{-\tilde{t}}}$$ $$\check{s}_0 = s_0 exp(\frac{-\tilde{t}}{2})$$ and $$I_{\alpha}$$ is a modified Bessel function of the first kind.

Following with this link, I wrote the following into Mathematica:

First I defined the variables in the solution as given above:

a = (r - 1)/2

b = b1/(1 - Exp[-t])

s0 = s01*Exp[-t/2]

i = BesselI[a, 2*b*s*s0]

I entered the solution like such:

q[s, t] = 2 b s^(a + 1)/(s0)*i*Exp[-b (s^2 + s0^2)]

I entered the general form of the equation:

E3 = D[p[s, t], t] == D[(2 b1 s - r/s) p[s, t], s] + D[p[s, t], {s, 2}]

Now I'm looking to "replace" the proposed solution q into E3 as p[s,t] and hope to get {True} as the output:

Simplify[E3 /. q[s, t]]

But the output is says: "___[contents of q]__ is neither a list of replacement rules nor a valid dispatch table and so cannot be used for replacing."

So I must be assigning something incorrectly... Does you see something wrong with this or know of an easier way to verify PDE solutions using Mathematica?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A replacement needs so-called rules. https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Rule.html

There is a more straightforward way though.
Instead of defining a variable E3 containing
Code:
D[p[s, t], t] == D[(2 b1 s - r/s) p[s, t], s] + D[p[s, t], {s, 2}]

You simply write
Code:
Simplify[ D[q[s, t], t] == D[(2 b1 s - r/s) q[s, t], s] + D[q[s, t], {s, 2}] ]

That is you directly use your definition of the full solution.
I'm not sure if it's useful to write ##q[s,t]## if you're not using it further on.
Also ensure that you know the difference between
Code:
q[s,t] = ...
q[s,t] := ...
q[s_ , t_] := ...

Finally you can also use Reduce instead of Simplify which might be faster in more complicated cases.

Hello JorisL, thanks for your reply!

I've ended up substituting the solution into the equation and subtracting one side from the other, hopefully to get zero.
Code:
p[s_, t_] = 2 b s^(a + 1)/(s0)*i*Exp[-b (s^2 + s0^2)]
E3 = D[p[s, t], t] 
E4 = D[(2 b1 s - r/s) p[s, t], s] + D[p[s, t], {s, 2}]
expr = Simplify[E3 - E4]
E6 = Simplify /@ Collect[expr, HoldPattern[BesselI[__]]]

My understanding is the underscore after the variable in the argument of the function allows anything to be substituted into the function?

A professor gave me the last line there, he said it was to factor out the Bessel functions (the resulting expression was really ugly and still is after he did that...)

Now this monster (called E6) should simplify into 0:
$$-\frac{2 \text{b1}^3 \text{s01} s^{\frac{r+1}{2}} e^{\frac{5 t}{2}-\frac{\text{b1} \left(s^2
e^t+\text{s01}^2\right)}{e^t-1}} I_{\frac{r-5}{2}}\left(\frac{2 \text{b1} e^{t/2} s
\text{s01}}{-1+e^t}\right)}{\left(e^t-1\right)^3}-\frac{2 \text{b1}^3 \text{s01} s^{\frac{r+1}{2}} e^{\frac{5
t}{2}-\frac{\text{b1} \left(s^2 e^t+\text{s01}^2\right)}{e^t-1}} I_{\frac{r+3}{2}}\left(\frac{2 \text{b1} e^{t/2} s
\text{s01}}{-1+e^t}\right)}{\left(e^t-1\right)^3}-\frac{\text{b1} s^{\frac{r-3}{2}} e^{\frac{3 t}{2}-\frac{\text{b1}
\left(s^2 e^t+\text{s01}^2\right)}{e^t-1}} \left(2 e^t \left(s^2 \left(4 \text{b1}^2 \text{s01}^2-2 \text{b1}
\left(\text{s01}^2+2\right)+4\right)-2 r \left(2 \text{b1} s^2+1\right)+2 \text{b1} (4 \text{b1}-1)
s^4+r^2+1\right)-e^{2 t} \left(-2 r \left(2 \text{b1} s^2+1\right)+(4 \text{b1}+2) s^2+r^2+1\right)+r \left(4
\text{b1} s^2+2\right)+12 \text{b1} s^2-r^2-6 s^2-1\right) I_{\frac{r-1}{2}}\left(\frac{2 \text{b1} e^{t/2} s
\text{s01}}{-1+e^t}\right)}{2 \text{s01} \left(e^t-1\right)^3}+\frac{\text{b1}^2 s^{\frac{r-1}{2}} \left(e^t \left((4
\text{b1}-1) s^2-2\right)+(4 \text{b1}-1) s^2+2\right) e^{2 t-\frac{\text{b1} \left(s^2
e^t+\text{s01}^2\right)}{e^t-1}} I_{\frac{r-3}{2}}\left(\frac{2 \text{b1} e^{t/2} s
\text{s01}}{-1+e^t}\right)}{\left(e^t-1\right)^3}+\frac{\text{b1}^2 s^{\frac{r-1}{2}} \left(e^t \left((4 \text{b1}-1)
s^2-2\right)+(4 \text{b1}-1) s^2+2\right) e^{2 t-\frac{\text{b1} \left(s^2 e^t+\text{s01}^2\right)}{e^t-1}}
I_{\frac{r+1}{2}}\left(\frac{2 \text{b1} e^{t/2} s \text{s01}}{-1+e^t}\right)}{\left(e^t-1\right)^3}$$

I'm not sure exactly how this goes now but I think the following identities should help:
$$I_{\nu}(z) == \frac{2(\nu+1)}{z}I_{\nu + 1}(z)+I_{\nu + 2}(z)$$
$$I_{\nu}(z) == I_{\nu - 2}(z)-\frac{2(\nu-1)}{z}I_{\nu-1}(z)$$

I'll try and check this sometime this week.
Did you define what s0 is before the code snippet above?

All together it remains an ugly beast as you remarked.

Hey, sorry for this late reply, but I thought I would go ahead and post in case someone needs this thread in the future! s0 is a function of s01 ( a constant) and t.

Substituting into that equation is getting very messy, so I decided to set all of the constants to zero and graph the solution for something like this...
86b8f4efae2cea63b3e20c32cbdea311.png

For values of t greater than 0 (where there is an asymptote) and less than 10 ish (where that bump there starts to grow)
For values of t close to zero the graph looks like this:
a4d1802d5959961f69c69e5dfb4615f1.png

I suppose this is implying that the solution is approximately correct during a certain time range...

Oops, that's set the constant to 1, not zero.

Related to Verifying PDE solutions using Mathematica

1. What is Mathematica and how does it relate to PDE solutions?

Mathematica is a powerful software program used for mathematical and scientific computations. It has built-in functions for solving partial differential equations (PDEs) and can be used to verify solutions to PDEs that are obtained through other methods.

2. How can Mathematica be used to verify PDE solutions?

Mathematica has a function called DSolve which can be used to find exact solutions to PDEs. These solutions can then be compared to solutions obtained through other methods, such as numerical methods or hand calculations, to verify their accuracy.

3. Can Mathematica handle all types of PDEs?

While Mathematica has a wide range of functions for solving PDEs, it may not be able to handle all types of PDEs. In some cases, the PDE may need to be rewritten in a different form or certain assumptions may need to be made for Mathematica to find a solution.

4. Are there any limitations to using Mathematica for verifying PDE solutions?

One limitation of using Mathematica is that it can only verify solutions that can be expressed in closed form. If the solution to a PDE cannot be expressed in a finite number of terms, Mathematica may not be able to verify it. Additionally, errors may occur if the PDE is not entered correctly or if the input parameters are not specified appropriately.

5. Are there any alternatives to using Mathematica for verifying PDE solutions?

Yes, there are other software programs and online tools that can be used to verify PDE solutions, such as Maple, MATLAB, or Wolfram Alpha. Additionally, hand calculations and numerical methods can also be used to verify PDE solutions.