Wave Propagation in a Coil Spring

In summary, the speaker is studying vibrations in a coil spring and is seeking confirmation on the correctness of their derivation. They have found that for small oscillations, the spring can be described by the 1-D wave equation with a wave speed of k*l^2/m, where k is the spring constant, l is the spring length, and m is the spring mass. The speaker asks if this sounds familiar to anyone and notes that based on the dimensions, the wave speed should be the square root of the given value.
BrianMechEng
I am studying the vibrations in a coil spring, and want to confirm with others that my derivation is correct.

I found that for small oscillations the spring is described by the 1-D wave equation, with wave speed k*l^2/m. where k is the spring constant, l is the spring length, and m is the spring mass. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
BrianMechEng said:
I am studying the vibrations in a coil spring, and want to confirm with others that my derivation is correct.

I found that for small oscillations the spring is described by the 1-D wave equation, with wave speed k*l^2/m. where k is the spring constant, l is the spring length, and m is the spring mass. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Just looking at the dimensions, it should be square root of that.

Related to Wave Propagation in a Coil Spring

1. What is wave propagation in a coil spring?

Wave propagation in a coil spring refers to the movement of waves through a physical medium, in this case, a coil spring. When one end of the spring is displaced, it creates a disturbance that travels through the spring as a wave.

2. How does a wave propagate through a coil spring?

A wave propagates through a coil spring through a series of compressions and rarefactions. When one end of the spring is compressed, it creates a compression wave that travels through the spring. As the wave passes through each coil, the coils are compressed and then stretched, creating a series of rarefactions.

3. What factors affect the speed of wave propagation in a coil spring?

The speed of wave propagation in a coil spring is affected by the material of the spring, the length and diameter of the spring, and the tension of the spring. The stiffer and denser the material, the faster the wave will travel. A longer and thinner spring will also result in a faster wave speed, while a higher tension in the spring will slow down the wave.

4. How does the frequency of a wave affect its propagation in a coil spring?

The frequency of a wave does not affect its propagation in a coil spring. The speed of the wave remains constant regardless of the frequency. However, the wavelength of the wave will change as the frequency changes, resulting in a different pattern of compressions and rarefactions in the spring.

5. What is the relationship between wave amplitude and wave propagation in a coil spring?

The amplitude of a wave does not affect its propagation in a coil spring. The speed of the wave remains constant regardless of the amplitude. However, a higher amplitude wave will result in a larger displacement of the coils in the spring, creating a more visible wave pattern.