What Color Light Works Best for Outdoor Data Transmission Over Long Distances?

• Thread starter Bern1937
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the speaker is seeking ideas and suggestions for using light for data transmissions up to 500 feet during daylight hours outdoors. They are looking to use common LEDs and diode detectors but are unsure of the best color of light to use and if a filter can improve the signal to noise ratio. They also ask if anyone has achieved long range without using lenses. The speaker also asks for more information about the project, including why light is preferred over RF links, the required data rate, and the type of data being transmitted.
Bern1937
I am looking for ideas and suggestions on using light for data transmissions. Range will be up to 500 feet, during daylight hours, and outdoors. Want to use relatively common LEDs and diode detectors, due to pricing. The sending end will be moving and sending out light 360 degrees. The receiving end will have a very basic and crude tracking system, so possibly a very simple and broad focus lens can be used. What I am looking for is thoughts on what color of light to use. Since there will be high ambient light can I use a certain color/frequency and some type of filter to get a better signal to noise ratio than if I just use white and a sensor that will look at all the background light? --- Also has anyone been able to get long range, using simple systems without the use of lenses? Your thoughts and ideas ? ? ? ? ? ?

Science news on Phys.org
I'm assuming this is for a fun project? There's a ton of commercial products out there that do just that, on a level that is far beyond what you would ever be able to achieve with a homegrown device.

That said, regarding your question, you could start by looking at the absorption spectra of normal air, and then choose the wavelength with the least absorption.

Bern1937 said:
I am looking for ideas and suggestions on using light for data transmissions. Range will be up to 500 feet, during daylight hours, and outdoors. Want to use relatively common LEDs and diode detectors, due to pricing. The sending end will be moving and sending out light 360 degrees. The receiving end will have a very basic and crude tracking system, so possibly a very simple and broad focus lens can be used. What I am looking for is thoughts on what color of light to use. Since there will be high ambient light can I use a certain color/frequency and some type of filter to get a better signal to noise ratio than if I just use white and a sensor that will look at all the background light? --- Also has anyone been able to get long range, using simple systems without the use of lenses? Your thoughts and ideas ? ? ? ? ? ?

Can you say more about the project? Why do you want to use light instead of RF links? What datarate do you need to support? What kind of data is being transmitted?

Related to What Color Light Works Best for Outdoor Data Transmission Over Long Distances?

1. Which type of light is the most energy-efficient?

The most energy-efficient type of light is LED (Light Emitting Diode) light. It uses 75-80% less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs and can last up to 25 times longer.

2. What type of light is best for reading or studying?

The best type of light for reading or studying is natural daylight or full-spectrum light. It has a color temperature similar to natural sunlight, which reduces eye strain and improves focus.

3. Which light is the most cost-effective?

Overall, LED lights are the most cost-effective option. Although they may have a higher upfront cost, they last longer and use less energy, resulting in lower electricity bills and fewer replacements.

4. What type of light is best for creating a warm and cozy atmosphere?

Incandescent lights are the best for creating a warm and cozy atmosphere. They produce a warm, yellowish light that is similar to candlelight, making the room feel more inviting and relaxing.

5. Which light is the most environmentally friendly?

LED lights are the most environmentally friendly option. They do not contain any harmful substances like mercury and use significantly less energy, reducing carbon emissions and their impact on the environment.