What Defines an Ideal Constraint in Physics?

• Thread starter A_B
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constraint
In summary, the condition for a constraint to be ideal is that all constraint forces must be perpendicular to the allowed virtual displacements. This is represented by the second condition, $\bar{N_i}\cdot\delta\bar{r_i}=0$ for each $i$. The first condition, $\sum_i\bar{N_i}\cdot\delta\bar{r_i}=0$, does not necessarily result in perpendicular forces and thus does not define an ideal constraint. The inability to conclude that the $\bar{K_i}$ are zero from $\sum_i\bar{K_i}\cdot\delta\bar{r_i}=0$ is due to the fact that the $\bar{r_i}$ are not independent, meaning that
A_B
Hi,

What exactly is the condition for a constraint to be ideal? Let's call the net force of constraint on particle i [itex]\bar{N_i}[/itex]. Is the condition
[tex]\sum_i\bar{N_i}\cdot\delta\bar{r_i}=0?[/tex]
Or is it
[tex]\bar{N_i}\cdot\delta\bar{r_i}=0[/tex] for each i? (from which the first follows immediately)

From the second, it follows that all constraint forces must be perpendicular to the allowed virtual displacements, while this does not follow from the first condition.Also , I don't understand why it is said we can't conclude from
[tex]\sum_i\bar{K_i}\cdot\delta\bar{r_i}=0[/tex] (equilibrium for statics)
that the [itex]\bar{K_i}[/itex] are zero BECAUSE the [itex]\bar{r_i}[/itex] are not independent. Suppose they are independent, isn't all we can say that the forces [itex]\bar{K_i}[/itex] would be perpendicular to the virtual displacement?
Is it because
[tex]\sum_i\bar{K_i}\cdot\delta\bar{r_i}=0[/tex]
must hold for every possible virtual displacement that the [itex]\bar{K_i}[/itex] must be zero?

(i.e. all [itex]\bar{r_i}[/itex] independent -> no constraints -> [itex]\bar{r_i}[/itex] can be in any direction -> [itex]\bar{K_i}[/itex] must be zero)
Thanks

A_B

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the second condition is the one that defines an ideal constraint. All of the constraint forces must be perpendicular to the allowed virtual displacements for an ideal constraint to hold.The reason that you can't conclude from $\sum_i\bar{K_i}\cdot\delta\bar{r_i}=0$ that the $\bar{K_i}$ are zero is because the $\bar{r_i}$ are not independent. This means that when you change one $\bar{r_i}$, other $\bar{r_i}$ will also be affected. Thus, the direction of the force $\bar{K_i}$ may not be perpendicular to the virtual displacement of the particular $\bar{r_i}$. If all $\bar{r_i}$ were independent, then it would be possible to say that the $\bar{K_i}$ would be perpendicular to the virtual displacement, but this is not the case in general. In this situation, you can conclude that the $\bar{K_i}$ must be zero for every possible virtual displacement if $\sum_i\bar{K_i}\cdot\delta\bar{r_i}=0$ must hold for every possible virtual displacement.

Related to What Defines an Ideal Constraint in Physics?

1. What is an ideal constraint?

An ideal constraint is a limitation or restriction that maximizes the efficiency or effectiveness of a system or process. It is often used in scientific research and engineering to optimize the performance of a system.

2. How does an ideal constraint differ from a regular constraint?

An ideal constraint is one that is designed to produce the best possible outcome, whereas a regular constraint may simply limit or restrict a system without necessarily optimizing it for maximum efficiency or effectiveness.

3. What are some examples of ideal constraints in scientific research?

Some examples of ideal constraints in scientific research include limiting variables in an experiment to isolate the effect of a single factor, optimizing the design of a study to minimize bias, and setting constraints on data collection to ensure accuracy and reliability.

4. How do scientists determine the ideal constraint for a particular system?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical models, simulations, and empirical data to determine the ideal constraint for a particular system. This involves careful analysis and consideration of the goals, limitations, and variables involved.

5. What are the benefits of using ideal constraints in scientific research?

Using ideal constraints in scientific research can lead to more accurate and reliable results, as well as increased efficiency and effectiveness in achieving research goals. It can also help to minimize bias and improve the overall quality of the research process.