What does it mean when the eom of a field is trivially satisfied?

In summary: I'm sorry, I don't know how to answer that question. In summary, the conversation discusses the relationships between fields ##a##, ##b## and ##c## and their corresponding equations of motion. It is stated that if ##E_a## is a linear combination of ##E_b## and ##E_c## with field-dependent coefficients, and ##E_b## and ##E_c## are satisfied, then ##E_a## is automatically satisfied. The question is then asked about the nature of field ##a##, but without clear definitions of the symbols, it is difficult to answer. One possible interpretation is that only 2 of the 3 fields are dynamically independent.
Baela
If a Lagrangian has the fields ##a##, ##b## and ##c## whose equations of motion are denoted by ##E_a, E_b## and ##E_c## respectively, then if
\begin{align}
E_a=f_1(a,b,c)\,E_b+f_2(a,b,c)\,E_c
\end{align}
where ##f_1## and ##f_2## are some functions of the fields, if ##E_b## and ##E_c## are satisfied, then ##E_a## is automatically satisfied.

Does this tell us anything particular about the nature of field ##a##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Without clear definitions of your symbols there's no way to answer your question. Where do you get this from?

Which symbol do you need clarification for? My question is pretty general. I can't see what part you are confused about.

You don't give any definition of your symbols. How can you expect that anybody can understand what they mean?

vanhees71 said:
You don't give any definition of your symbols. How can you expect that anybody can understand what they mean?
For background, the OP also started this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...t-gauge-transformations.1051286/#post-6871749 (although they never returned to it as promised). My understanding of their notation is: ##a(x), b(x), c(x)## are spacetime fields individually satisfying the 3 Euler-Lagrange (field) equations ##E_{a}(a(x))=0, E_{b}(b(x))=0, E_{c}(c(x))=0##. I think they want to know the consequences if ##E_{a}(a(x))## happens to be a linear-combination, with field-dependent coefficients, of ##E_{b}(b(x)),E_{c}(c(x))##. My answer is that it simply means only 2 of the 3 fields are dynamically independent.

Likes Baela