What is a Newton Second (N s)?

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Newton
In summary, Ns is a unit used to measure impulse and is equal to the unit of momentum, kg m/s. N/s is a unit used to measure power per distance. The confusion between the two may arise because the change in momentum is equal to impulse.
danago
Gold Member
Hey. I am having a little trouble differentiating between Newtons per second ([itex]N s^{-1}[/itex]) and Newton seconds (N s). I know that N/s is a measurement of a certain number of Newtons over a period of 1 second, but could someone please explain what a Newton second is?

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ns is a unit used to quantify momentum.

momentum? I thought momentum was usually measured in kg m/s? ISnt Ns used to measure impulse?

Well, N = kg m / s^2 and Ns ends up being kg m / s.

So what are units of N/s used for? N*m/s would be power, so N/s is power per distance? Where did you see these units pop up, danago?

For impulse. Since [itex]I=F \Delta t[/itex], therefore, its unit would be Ns wouldn't it?

Yes, Newton-seconds is the unit of impulse. However, I can see where the confusion arose with respect to momentum, since the change in momentum is equal to the impulse.

Related to What is a Newton Second (N s)?

What is a Newton Second (N s)?

A Newton Second (N s) is a unit used to measure the amount of force applied to an object over a period of time. It is equivalent to one kilogram-meter per second squared (kg•m/s²) in the International System of Units (SI).

How is a Newton Second (N s) related to Newtons (N)?

A Newton Second (N s) is the product of force and time, while Newtons (N) measure force alone. One Newton Second (N s) is equal to one Newton (N) multiplied by one second (s).

Why is the Newton Second (N s) used to measure force?

The Newton Second (N s) is used to measure force because it takes into account both the magnitude of the force and the duration over which it acts. This is important in understanding the impact of a force on an object.

What are some common examples of force measured in Newton Seconds (N s)?

Some common examples of force measured in Newton Seconds (N s) include the force exerted by a person throwing a ball, the force of a car's engine pushing it forward, and the force of a rocket's engines during liftoff.

How is a Newton Second (N s) different from a Joule (J)?

A Newton Second (N s) and a Joule (J) are both units of measurement for energy, but they measure different aspects of energy. A Newton Second (N s) measures the amount of force applied over time, while a Joule (J) measures the amount of work done or energy transferred.