What is the residue of a complex integral with a double pole at infinity?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the residue theorem to calculate the integral of a function with a singularity of order two. However, it is concluded that using the Laurent series expansion may be a simpler method. The final result is that the integral is equal to $\pi / 2a^3$ times the exponential function $e^{-am}$ multiplied by $1 + am$.
Dustinsfl
\[
\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\cos(mx)}{(x^2 + a^2)^2}dx = \frac{\pi}{4a^3}e^{-am} (1 + am)
\]
The integral is even so
\[
\frac{1}{2}\text{Re}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{imz}}{(z + ia)^2(z - ia)^2}dz.
\]
Since the singularity is of order two, I believe I need to use
\[
\int\frac{f'}{f} = 2\pi\sum(\text{numer of zeros} - \text{number of poles})
\]
but I am not sure on how.

Physics news on Phys.org
If $f(z)$ has a pole of order $n$ at $z=z_{0}$, then [tex]\text{Res}[f(z), z_{0}] = \lim_{z \to z_{0}} \frac{1}{(n-1)!} \frac{d^{n-1}}{dz^{n-1}} (z-z_{0})^{n} f(z) [/tex].[tex] \text{Res} \Big[ \frac{e^{imz}}{(z^{2}+a^{2})^{2}}, ia \Big] = \lim_{z\to ia} \frac{d}{dz} (z-ia)^{2} \frac{e^{imz}}{(z^{2}+a^{2})^{2}} [/tex]

[tex] = \lim_{z \to ia} \frac{d}{dz} \frac{e^{imz}}{(z+ia)^{2}} = \lim_{z \to ia} \frac{ime^{imz}(z+ia)^{2} - 2e^{imz}(z+ia)}{(z+ia)^{4}}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{ime^{-am}(-4a^{2})-2e^{-am}(2ia)}{16a^{4}} = -\frac{i e^{-am}(1+am)}{4a^{3}} [/tex]So for the same reason as the other problem,

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{imx}}{(x^{2}+a^{2})^{2}} \ dx = 2 \pi i \Big(-\frac{i e^{-am}(1+am)}{4a^{3}} \Big) = \frac{\pi}{2a^{3}} e^{-am} (1+am)[/tex]Sometimes calculating the residue from that definition is insanely tedious and actually finding the Laurent series expansion is easier.

Related to What is the residue of a complex integral with a double pole at infinity?

1. What is the "Calculus of residue two"?

The "Calculus of residue two", also known as the "residue number system", is a mathematical concept that allows for efficient arithmetic operations on large numbers by breaking them down into smaller residues. It is based on the Chinese Remainder Theorem and has applications in cryptography and computer science.

2. How does the "Calculus of residue two" work?

In the "Calculus of residue two", a large number is represented as a set of smaller residues, with each residue corresponding to a specific modulus. This allows for efficient addition, subtraction, and multiplication operations to be performed on the residues, which can then be combined to obtain the result for the original number.

3. What are the advantages of using the "Calculus of residue two"?

The "Calculus of residue two" offers several advantages, including faster arithmetic operations on large numbers, reduced memory requirements, and improved security in cryptographic applications. It also allows for parallel computation, making it useful in high-performance computing.

4. Are there any limitations to the "Calculus of residue two"?

Yes, there are some limitations to the "Calculus of residue two". One of the main limitations is that it can only represent integers, not real numbers. It also requires a pre-defined set of moduli, which can be challenging to determine for certain applications.

5. What are some real-world applications of the "Calculus of residue two"?

The "Calculus of residue two" has applications in various fields, including cryptography, signal processing, and error-correcting codes. It is also used in some computer processors to perform fast arithmetic operations. Additionally, it has been used in the development of efficient algorithms for solving mathematical problems.