What is the resultant speed and resultant angle of the boat?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the resultant speed and angle of a rowboat crossing a river at a given average speed and river flow rate. The suggestion is made to use a picture or free body diagram to visualize the velocities as vectors and solve using Pythagorean triangles. The asker confirms that this method helped them successfully solve the problem.
physicsgurl12

Homework Statement

A rowboat starts across river. If the average speed of the boat is 5.39 m/s and the river is flowing at a speed of 2.91 m/s, what is the resultant speed and resultant angle of the boat?

i know this is super basic but i havn't done this type of problem since the beginning of the year.

Homework Equations

v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

vi=o m/s
0m/s=d/2.91m/s
d=0m

Physics news on Phys.org

Instead of trying to do this purely with equations set up a picture of what's going on. Lay out the respective velocities as vectors and see if you can work from there.

Is the boat trying to go straight across or is it just going to go straight in reference to the water?

Clever-Name said:
Instead of trying to do this purely with equations set up a picture of what's going on. Lay out the respective velocities as vectors and see if you can work from there.

so i drew a picture but I am not really getting what you mean by laying out the respective velocities as vectors

Are you familiar with free body diagrams (while usually taught using forces you can apply the same principle to velocity vectors)? Here is my interpretation of the question as a picture:

Attachments

• River.jpg
    River.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 443

These thing usually work out to Pythagorean triangles. Think of it that way and see if you can get an answer

mburt said:
These thing usually work out to Pythagorean triangles. Think of it that way and see if you can get an answer

thanks for the help. i got it right! :)

1. What is the definition of resultant speed and resultant angle of the boat?

The resultant speed of a boat refers to the overall speed and direction of the boat, taking into account all forces acting on the boat. The resultant angle of the boat refers to the angle at which the boat is moving in relation to its starting point.

2. How do you calculate the resultant speed and resultant angle of a boat?

The resultant speed and resultant angle of a boat can be calculated using vector addition. This involves breaking down all the forces acting on the boat and adding them together to determine the overall speed and direction.

3. What factors affect the resultant speed and resultant angle of a boat?

The resultant speed and resultant angle of a boat can be affected by a number of factors, including wind speed and direction, water currents, the boat's propulsion system, and any obstacles or resistance in the water.

4. How does the resultant speed and resultant angle of a boat impact its performance?

The resultant speed and resultant angle of a boat can greatly impact its performance. A higher resultant speed can lead to faster travel times, while a more favorable resultant angle can allow for smoother and more efficient navigation.

5. Can the resultant speed and resultant angle of a boat change during travel?

Yes, the resultant speed and resultant angle of a boat can change during travel. This can occur due to changes in external forces, adjustments made by the boat's operator, or changes in the boat's weight or balance.