What is the Time and Velocity for Projectile Motion with a Hose?

In summary: However, because there is no horizontal force, the water's speed in the x-direction is constant at 7.4 m/s.
andorei
The problem goes like this.
A lady holds a hose 0.8m off the ground such that the water coming out of it reaches a point 2m away.

So the given are
a(acceleration): 9.8m/s
value for y: 0.8m
value for x: 2.0m

To find:
t (time)
Velocity for both x and y

I forgot to bring my notes so I can't clearly remember what the exact problem is but I'm sure of all the values given.

and ohh. Since I forgot my notes I can't show you guys my work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find your notes man!

Wait I found the question.

Here is the exact question:
A woman holds a hose 0.8m above the ground such that the water shoots out horizontally. The water hits the ground at a point 2m away. What is the speed with which the water leaves the hose.

I have troubles finding the all the items needed.

andorei said:
The problem goes like this.
A lady holds a hose 0.8m off the ground such that the water coming out of it reaches a point 2m away.

So the given are
a(acceleration): 9.8m/s
value for y: 0.8m
value for x: 2.0m

To find:
t (time)
Velocity for both x and y

1. Try to solve: [itex]x+y=v_0t + \frac 12 at^2[/itex] for t.

2. Find t_x and t_y in the same way (you need them to find velocity...

Then find [itex]v_x=v_0+at_x[/itex] and [itex]v_y=v_0+at_y[/itex]

I think this should become right

Okay. I'll answer the new question instead... :)

andorei said:
Wait I found the question.

Here is the exact question:
A woman holds a hose 0.8m above the ground such that the water shoots out horizontally. The water hits the ground at a point 2m away. What is the speed with which the water leaves the hose.

I have troubles finding the all the items needed.

Try reading this: http://zonalandeducation.com/mstm/physics/mechanics/curvedMotion/projectileMotion/generalSolution/generalSolution.html"

only heighth and displacement is not enough to find start velocity... Hint: acceleration a_y=9.81 m/s^2 , A_x=0.0 m/s^2

You'll also need one more variable...

Last edited by a moderator:
What variable do i need?

thanks for the help.

The motion is constant acceleration, so you need the acceleration (simply gravity) and the initial position and velocity (which were given in the question). Give it a try.

but no value of velocity was given although a direction is given to where the water shoots out.

No, the initial velocity is what you shall find. I might think he is referring to the velocity when the water has just met the ground becomes zero?

Not quite sure if this assumption is right, however, because the water has speed when approaching the ground...

gives me,(very fastly calculated) 7.4 m/s, what about that?

Last edited:
What formula did you use?
I've been bugged by this question since early this morning. ugghh

[tex]2a*(displacement)=v^2-(v_0)^2[/tex]

See if you can make use of that one ...

Wait how about I use this one to find the time?

t=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{2d_{y}}{g}}[/itex]

will this one work then solve for the other missing values?

andorei said:
but no value of velocity was given although a direction is given to where the water shoots out.

Woops, yeah sorry about that. The initial velocity is what you are trying to find.

The key to this question is that you can solve the motion in x-direction and y-direction separately, since they don't affect each other.
From the motion in y-direction, you can get the time it takes for the water to hit the ground. And then use this in the equation for the motion in x-direction to get the initial speed.

So you need to use two equations. For y-motion, it is constant acceleration, and zero initial speed (giving you time). for x-motion, use time and distance to get the (constant) speed.

andorei said:
Wait how about I use this one to find the time?

t=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{2d_{y}}{g}}[/itex]

will this one work then solve for the other missing values?

Yep, that's exactly right.

Soooooo, the answer is 0.16s. Is that correct? and is it also what I need to use for finding the other values?

I get a different answer for the time. Although your equation is correct.
Just to check: dy=0.8m, right? I think you forgot to square-root.

Once you get the time, then that is also the time which the water travels in the x-direction for. Since there is no horizontal force, the speed in the x-direction is constant. So then its just speed=dx/time

Related to What is the Time and Velocity for Projectile Motion with a Hose?

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is subject only to the acceleration of gravity. This type of motion is characterized by a curved path and can be seen in various everyday situations such as throwing a ball or launching a rocket.

What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity. These factors can alter the trajectory and distance of the projectile.

How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, which takes into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also be calculated and incorporated into the equations.

What is the difference between horizontal and vertical projectile motion?

Horizontal projectile motion is when the initial velocity of the object is parallel to the ground, while vertical projectile motion is when the initial velocity is perpendicular to the ground. This results in different trajectories and flight paths for the object.

How is projectile motion used in real-life applications?

Projectile motion is used in various real-life applications, such as sports, military weaponry, and space exploration. Understanding projectile motion is crucial in accurately predicting the trajectory and distance of objects, which is essential in these fields.