What kind of energy is released in a nuclear fusion reaction?

freddie_mclair
Hi, I have a fundamental (and maybe silly question) but I couldn't find a proper answer anywhere yet:

For example, for a nuclear fusion reaction of Tritium (T) and Deuterium (D), we get an alpha particle (##\alpha##) a neutron (n) and energy release due to the mass difference ##\Delta m=m_D+m_T-m_n-m_{\alpha}##, which means that: ##D + T \rightarrow \alpha + n + \mbox{ 17.6 MeV}## where ##\mbox{ 17.6 MeV}= \Delta m c^2 ##. These 17.6MeV get split by the neutron (14.1MeV) and the alpha particle (3.5MeV).

Now, my question is: what does it mean, to release energy? What kind of energy is this?
Thanks!

Likes dextercioby
Physics news on Phys.org
AFAIK, kinetic energy of the products and gamma rays.

I agree with the kinetic energy of the products, but where are the gamma rays? What I understand is that the 17.6MeV are just split into the kinetic energy of the neutron by ##KE_n=\Delta m c^2 \frac{m_{\alpha}}{m_{\alpha}+m_n} ## and the rest to the alpha particle ##KE_{\alpha} = \Delta m c^2 - T_n ##.

freddie_mclair said:
but where are the gamma rays
You posited a reaction without them.

Vanadium 50 said:
You posited a reaction without them.
what would be the correct formulation then? and what amount of radiation would that be in terms of energy?

I can't tell you what reaction you are thinking of. Just that A+B → C+D and A+B → C+D+γ are not the same process.

For this specific reaction I mentioned it is just Deuterium + Tritium, there are no gamma rays, just an alpha particle and a neutron. But in several places it is indicated that, apart from the reaction products, there is also an energy release, like for example here.

freddie_mclair said:
here are no gamma rays
freddie_mclair said:
but where are the gamma rays?

Do you see why people are confused?

No, why? I asked Hill where are the gamma rays in the reaction I described.

The reaction without gamma rays is the most common outcome, all the released energy becomes kinetic energy of the reaction products:
##D + T \rightarrow \alpha + n##

This is possible, too:
##D + T \rightarrow \alpha + n + \gamma##
Here the photon energy is variable and the rest will be kinetic energy of the alpha and n.

Likes Astronuc, dextercioby and fresh_42
freddie_mclair said:
For this specific reaction I mentioned it is just Deuterium + Tritium, there are no gamma rays, just an alpha particle and a neutron. But in several places it is indicated that, apart from the reaction products, there is also an energy release, like for example here.
That's not a sufficiently detailed source for discussion. In this reaction, most of the energy is kinetic energy of the neutron. Hyperphysics has a little more detail:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/NucEne/fusion.html

Likes Lord Jestocost
Thanks mfb, and PeroK.
To conclude: energy release in this specific fusion reaction can be totally kinetic (shared the n and ) or kinetic + EM radiation.

The deuterium tritium reaction produces an alpha particle and a neutron. The energy of the reaction becomes the kinetic energy of the products. Gamma rays do not seem to be produced.

sharmast said:
Gamma rays do not seem to be produced.
It's possible, as discussed, it's just rare. It even has a 16.75 MeV photon line corresponding to He-5 decaying to its ground state before emitting a neutron.

When neutrons are emitted, nuclei of the surrounding material could capture a neutron and emit gamma rays. So even though the reaction itself may not emit gammas, you will get gamma rays "in real life" from any reaction with neutrons as a product.

What kind of energy is released in a nuclear fusion reaction?

In a nuclear fusion reaction, a tremendous amount of energy is released in the form of electromagnetic radiation, such as gamma rays, and kinetic energy of the particles involved in the reaction.

Is nuclear fusion a sustainable source of energy?

Nuclear fusion has the potential to be a sustainable source of energy as it relies on abundant sources of fuel, such as hydrogen isotopes, and produces no greenhouse gas emissions or long-lived radioactive waste.

How does nuclear fusion differ from nuclear fission?

Nuclear fusion involves the combining of light atomic nuclei to form a heavier nucleus, releasing energy in the process, while nuclear fission involves the splitting of heavy atomic nuclei into smaller fragments, also releasing energy.

What are the challenges of achieving practical nuclear fusion energy?

Some of the challenges of achieving practical nuclear fusion energy include the need to create and sustain the extreme conditions required for fusion reactions, such as high temperatures and pressures, as well as the development of efficient and reliable fusion reactors.

What are the potential benefits of nuclear fusion energy?

The potential benefits of nuclear fusion energy include a virtually limitless supply of fuel, minimal environmental impact, and the potential to provide a clean and sustainable source of energy for the future.