What would it even mean to consider a "half" derivative?

In summary, Traditionally, derivatives are taught as a function that have a first and a second derivative. But what would it even mean to take a rational number as a derivative? I mean... If there is a half derivative for the function of x, you would first imagine instinctively that it's value would between x^2 and 2x, but beyond that I wouldn't know how to imagine what it would be, or what it would imply. Is there a derivative for every real number? Imaginary? Are there Partial Half derivatives? What utility do they have? By that I mean, under what circumstance could we use a half-derivative in Physics?
Ethan Singer
Traditionally, derivatives are taught as a function that have... "Whole" transitions. Take the following example:

If you have the function f(x) = x^2, we find that f'(x) = 2x, and that f''(x) = 2. In other words, it has a first and a second derivative.

But what would it even mean to take a rational number as a derivative? I mean... If there is a half derivative for the function of x, you would first imagine instinctively that it's value would between x^2 and 2x, but beyond that I wouldn't know how to imagine what it would be, or what it would imply.

Is there a derivative for every real number? Imaginary? Are there Partial Half derivatives? What utility do they have? By that I mean, under what circumstance could we use a half-derivative in Physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ethan Singer said:
Traditionally, derivatives are taught as a function that have... "Whole" transitions. Take the following example:

If you have the function f(x) = x^2, we find that f'(x) = 2x, and that f''(x) = 2. In other words, it has a first and a second derivative.

But what would it even mean to take a rational number as a derivative? I mean... If there is a half derivative for the function of x, you would first imagine instinctively that it's value would between x^2 and 2x, but beyond that I wouldn't know how to imagine what it would be, or what it would imply.

Is there a derivative for every real number? Imaginary? Are there Partial Half derivatives? What utility do they have? By that I mean, under what circumstance could we use a half-derivative in Physics?
I have never heard of such a thing and I doubt it would make sense. Perhaps if we consider the differentiation as an operator and then expand its rational powers in a series, there is a small chance to even define it properly in some range. But more likely is that we run into problems to define convergence or something like ##D^nD^{\frac{1}{n}}=D## which I would expect to be required.

For sufficiently well-behaved functions, you can use the Fourier transform. Differentiation in the "time domain" corresponds to multiplication by the function ##(\omega \mapsto i \omega)## in the "frequency domain" and that can be generalised to ##(\omega \mapsto (i \omega) ^\alpha)##. It's not something I've ever looked at in detail, so I'm not sure what "sufficiently well-behaved" really means in this context.

(For A-thead-level readers: more generally, for any operator for which the spectral theorem applies, you can use the ##L^2## representation of the operator.)

this was done by riemann already in complex analysis. the secret is to represent the nth derivative of a holomorphic function, as a Cauchy integral of an expression involving an (n+1)st power. Then since fractional powers make sense, the analogous Cauchy integral formula with a fractional power should be a fractional derivative. thus the one half derivative of f(z) at z=a, should be the integral of f(z)/(z-a)^3/2. Or maybe you also need to know the value of the factorial function at rational numbers, i.e. use the gamma function. in fact that is perhaps the deeper part. I.e. once you can define the factorial function at fractions you get fractional derivatives. You can check this by looking up the cauchy integral formula for a derivative and see if it has a factorial in it. yes it does, so you need to know what (1/2)! means for this question. i.e. gamma(3/2).

Likes WWGD

Related to What would it even mean to consider a "half" derivative?

1. What is a "half" derivative?

A half derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the derivative of a function raised to the power of 1/2. It is also known as a fractional derivative or a non-integer order derivative.

2. How is a "half" derivative calculated?

A "half" derivative is calculated using a special formula that involves the Gamma function. It is defined as the limit of the difference quotient as the interval approaches zero. In simpler terms, it is the change in the function divided by the change in the input, as the change in the input approaches zero.

3. What is the significance of a "half" derivative?

The concept of a "half" derivative has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of non-integer order systems. It allows for a more accurate representation of real-world phenomena and can help in solving complex differential equations.

4. Can a function have a "half" derivative?

Yes, a function can have a "half" derivative if it is continuous and differentiable. However, not all functions have a "half" derivative, as it depends on the properties of the function and the interval being considered.

5. How is a "half" derivative different from a regular derivative?

A "half" derivative differs from a regular derivative in that it is a non-integer order derivative, while a regular derivative is an integer order derivative. This means that a "half" derivative takes into account the change in the function over a non-integer interval, while a regular derivative considers the change over an integer interval.