Wheatstone Bridge: No Current Flow?

In summary, the potential difference between two points in a circuit is zero, no current flows between the two points. In a Wheatstone bridge, no current passes through the bridge and instead of removing the bridge, the two points can be connected and considered as a series combination of a parallel combination of two resistors. Additionally, if there is no current flow through a resistor, the potential difference across the resistor is zero.
Faris Shajahan
In a circuit if the potential difference between two points is zero, no current flows between the two points, right? Or am I wrong? I feel like I am wrong. If I am right, then in a Wheatstone bridge, no current passes through the bridge. Then instead of removing the bridge, why don't we connect the two points?

Science news on Phys.org
Faris Shajahan said:
In a circuit if the potential difference between two points is zero, no current flows between the two points, right? Or am I wrong? I feel like I am wrong.

You are correct.

Faris Shajahan said:
If I am right, then in a Wheatstone bridge, no current passes through the bridge. Then instead of removing the bridge, why don't we connect the two points?

What do you mean by "removing the bridge"? What two points do you want to connect?

While solving a Wheatstone bridge problem, we removing the bridging resistor and consider it as a parallel combination of series combination of two resistors. (I am sorry if I made it complicated) So what I mean is instead since no current flows through the bridge we can say the potential difference at the two ends of the bridge is zero. Hence why don't we join the two ends of the bridge and consider the whole thing as a series combination of a parallel combination of two resistors?

Btw Am I also correct when I say if there is no current flow through a resistor, then potential difference across the resistor is zero?

That would create a node in the middle and allow currents to flow criss-cross, which is not possible with the originial circuit, hence that is a misrepresentation of the circuit.

Faris Shajahan said:
Btw Am I also correct when I say if there is no current flow through a resistor, then potential difference across the resistor is zero?
Yes.
Faris Shajahan said:
Hence why don't we join the two ends of the bridge and consider the whole thing as a series combination of a parallel combination of two resistors?
You can. It will give you the same result.

cnh1995 said:
Yes.

You can. It will give you the same result.
Ah, yes. Multiple points with the same potential are effectively the same point, makes no difference whether you join them or not.

Related to Wheatstone Bridge: No Current Flow?

1. How does a Wheatstone bridge work?

A Wheatstone bridge is an electrical circuit that is used to measure an unknown resistance by comparing it to a known resistance. It consists of four resistors connected in a diamond shape, with the unknown resistance and a variable resistor forming two sides of the diamond. A power source is connected to the two remaining corners, and a voltmeter is connected between the two sides of the diamond. When the unknown resistance is equal to the known resistance, the bridge is balanced and no current flows through the voltmeter.

2. Why is no current flowing through the Wheatstone bridge?

No current flows through the Wheatstone bridge when it is balanced because the voltage drop across the two sides of the diamond is equal. This means that there is no potential difference and therefore no current flowing through the voltmeter. The balance of the bridge is achieved by adjusting the variable resistor until the voltmeter reads zero.

3. What is the purpose of a Wheatstone bridge?

The purpose of a Wheatstone bridge is to measure an unknown resistance with high accuracy. It is commonly used in electronic circuits and experiments to determine the resistance of a component or to detect changes in resistance, such as in strain gauges or temperature sensors.

4. What are the advantages of using a Wheatstone bridge?

One of the main advantages of using a Wheatstone bridge is its high accuracy in measuring an unknown resistance. It is also a very simple and cost-effective circuit to set up, requiring only a few components. In addition, it is not affected by changes in the power supply, making it a reliable method for measurement.

5. Are there any limitations to a Wheatstone bridge?

One limitation of a Wheatstone bridge is that it can only measure resistances within a certain range. If the unknown resistance is too high or too low, the bridge will not be able to balance and the measurement will be inaccurate. In addition, the bridge can be affected by external factors such as temperature changes, which may cause the resistance values to shift and affect the accuracy of the measurement.