Where Can I Find a Molar Absorptivity Database for Potassium Permanganate?

• Thread starter zippy_magee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Database
In summary, the conversation is about finding the molar absorbtivity for potassium permanganate at 410nm in relation to the Beer-Lambert Law. The respondent explains that molar absorptivity is usually tabulated for lambda(max) and suggests that the absorption coefficient at 410nm may not be readily available. They also caution against using this wavelength due to its location on a steep edge of a strong absorption band, which can lead to significant measurement errors.
zippy_magee
molar absorbtivity database??

Hi

I'm just looking for the molar absorbtivity for potassium permanganate at 410nm wrt Beer Lambert Law, i can't find a database anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Laura

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Molar absorptivity is usually tabulated for lambda(max). The spectrum of Potassium permanganate shows a minimum at 425 nm. You may not be able to find the absorption coefficent at 410 nm since it is not very useful in most cases. You will probably be required to do some measurements and calculate it for yourself. Keep in mind that this wavelength (410 nm) occurs on a steep edge of a strong absorption band and slight wavelength shifts on that band will cause a huge error in your measurement.

Hello Laura,

Thank you for your inquiry. There are several databases available that can provide molar absorbtivity values for various substances. Some popular options include the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Chemistry WebBook and the Spectral Database for Organic Compounds (SDBS). These databases contain a wide range of spectroscopic data, including molar absorbtivity values, for various compounds.

For your specific query about potassium permanganate at 410nm, I recommend checking the NIST Chemistry WebBook first. They have a comprehensive list of molar absorbtivity values for different wavelengths and solvents. If you are unable to find the specific value you need, you can also try reaching out to the NIST team for assistance.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your research!

Related to Where Can I Find a Molar Absorptivity Database for Potassium Permanganate?

1. What is a molar absorbtivity database?

A molar absorbtivity database is a collection of data that lists the molar absorbtivity values for different substances. Molar absorbtivity, also known as molar extinction coefficient, is a measure of how strongly a substance absorbs light at a specific wavelength. This database is often used in spectroscopy and other analytical techniques to identify and quantify substances in a sample.

2. How is molar absorbtivity measured?

Molar absorbtivity is measured by determining the absorbance of a substance at a specific wavelength and concentration, and then using the Beer-Lambert law to calculate the molar absorbtivity value. The absorbance is measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light that is absorbed by the substance at a specific wavelength.

3. What is the importance of having a molar absorbtivity database?

A molar absorbtivity database is important for scientists and researchers as it provides a standardized reference for the molar absorbtivity values of different substances. This allows for more accurate and reliable measurements, comparisons, and predictions in various fields such as chemistry, biochemistry, and environmental science.

4. How often is a molar absorbtivity database updated?

Molar absorbtivity values can vary depending on factors such as temperature, solvent, and concentration. Therefore, molar absorbtivity databases are regularly updated to include new and more accurate data. The frequency of updates can vary depending on the database, but it is typically done at least once a year.

5. Can I access a molar absorbtivity database online?

Yes, there are several molar absorbtivity databases available online that can be accessed for free. Some of these databases are specific to certain substances or wavelengths, while others are more comprehensive and cover a wide range of substances. It is important to ensure that the database is reliable and regularly updated before using it for research or analysis purposes.