Where can you use protium, tritium and deuterium?

In summary: Heavy water is used in nuclear reactors to moderate the radioactive effects of the nuclear reactions. Deuterium and tritium are used in fusion reactions, in order to create a self-sustaining reaction. Tritium is also used in glow in the dark objects.
Thallium
um um um...

Where can you use protium, tritium and deuterium?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Protium, you mean hydrogen molecules? Deuterium and tritium are used in nuclear physics. D2O is "heavy water", used as a moderator in some reactors. And Deuterium and Tritium play a big role in fusion, both at the H-bomb level and in the attempts to build fusion power systems.

Tritium is also used to make glow in the dark things. Like wristwatches that can give you a nice little dose.

Thanks sA. Are these available on the market?

Originally posted by Thallium
Thanks sA. Are these available on the market?
[?] Just what are you constructing?

I am very interested in chemistry. I am not constructing something. It seems illegal to ask if they are available on the market. I could always go ask in a chemists shop, but I am asking here first no matter how suspicious I may sound.

You might be able to buy heavy water at retail, but I'll bet you'd have to have a license to buy Tritium, it's a dangerous commodity- radioactive. Hydrogen, the molecular form of your protium, is available freely as a gas in pressure tanks. It's inflammable.

Well, it is not everyday that someone wants to buy unknown chemical substances

I know, Monique. A little x

Most chemical supply companies do sell isotopes (gas, liquid, solid) in a variety of contexts. Although I suspect most are used to dealing with academic/industrial/government clients for the most part. :) I've bought isotopes, but it's been for research purposes.

In terms of usage, deuterium is also quite common among people for utilization in spectroscopy, esp. NMR. I believe biochemists have used tritium as a radiolabel for tracking the fate of metabolites in the past, although I am not aware of how common the practice may still be in current research.

Related to Where can you use protium, tritium and deuterium?

1. What are protium, tritium, and deuterium?

Protium, tritium, and deuterium are all isotopes of hydrogen. They have the same number of protons in their nucleus, but differ in the number of neutrons.

2. Where can protium, tritium, and deuterium be found?

Protium, tritium, and deuterium can be found in water, organic compounds, and in the atmosphere. However, they are most commonly found in water molecules.

3. What are the uses of protium, tritium, and deuterium?

Protium, tritium, and deuterium have various uses in different industries. Protium is used in nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, while tritium is used in self-luminous exit signs and nuclear weapons. Deuterium is used in nuclear power plants and as a tracer in chemical reactions.

4. Can protium, tritium, and deuterium be used as fuel sources?

Yes, all three isotopes of hydrogen can be used as fuel sources. Protium and deuterium are used in nuclear fusion reactions, while tritium can be produced in nuclear reactors and used as a fuel source for nuclear fusion.

5. Are there any risks associated with using protium, tritium, and deuterium?

The use of protium, tritium, and deuterium in nuclear reactions can be dangerous if not handled properly. However, these isotopes are not harmful in their natural state and are commonly found in small amounts in the environment.