Why do Balloons filled with Air not fall at 9.6m/s/s?

• Thread starter Salbris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Fall
In summary, the difference in weight and density between the air and the balloon accounts for the balloon not dropping at the same speed as the surrounding air.
Salbris
I've been racking my brain to figure this one out, I really don't understand it.

If you fill a balloon with air from your lungs, just manually blow it up, it should be carbon dioxide, no?

Density of Carbon Dioxide at Sea Level: 1.977 g/L
Density of Air at Sea Level: 1.2 g/L

So it's heavier. I know I'm pulling these numbers out of seemingly nowhere, but I'm sure someone can verify they are accurate.

So why on Earth would a balloon filled with a gas heavier than the surrounding gas in it's environment not drop at the normal speed. Aren't I right to think that bouyancy only takes effect when the gas inside the balloon is at least a bit lighter?

Or is there some critical property I'm missing?

Please enlighten me, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you recall that Gallileo dropped a feather off the Tower of Pisa, as well as a 1 pound weight and a ten pound weight:
http://www.jimloy.com/physics/galileo.htm
Astronauts tried Gallileo's experiment on the moon. See:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you fill a balloon up with your breath it would be mostly nitrogen just like the air you breathed in.

Also, with a density so close to that of the air it is prone to the slightest disturbances from the air.

Salbris said:
I've been racking my brain to figure this one out, I really don't understand it.

If you fill a balloon with air from your lungs, just manually blow it up, it should be carbon dioxide, no?

Density of Carbon Dioxide at Sea Level: 1.977 g/L
Density of Air at Sea Level: 1.2 g/L

So it's heavier. I know I'm pulling these numbers out of seemingly nowhere, but I'm sure someone can verify they are accurate.

So why on Earth would a balloon filled with a gas heavier than the surrounding gas in it's environment not drop at the normal speed. Aren't I right to think that bouyancy only takes effect when the gas inside the balloon is at least a bit lighter?

Or is there some critical property I'm missing?

Please enlighten me, thank you.
1] As pointed out, your exhaled breath is almost exactly the same as the air. It has an extra 5% CO2 and is shy by the same amount of oxygen.

2] You've got a volume of air, that weighs maybe a gram or two more than the surrounding air, but it has a giant surface area. It's terminal velocity is on the order of a few feet per second.

DaveC426913 said:
1] As pointed out, your exhaled breath is almost exactly the same as the air. It has an extra 5% CO2 and is shy by the same amount of oxygen.

2] You've got a volume of air, that weighs maybe a gram or two more than the surrounding air, but it has a giant surface area. It's terminal velocity is on the order of a few feet per second.

Ahh, Terminal Velocity. Now that makes sense. :)

Thanks for pointing that out.

Related to Why do Balloons filled with Air not fall at 9.6m/s/s?

1. Why do balloons filled with air not fall at 9.8m/s/s?

The reason balloons filled with air do not fall at 9.8m/s/s, which is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth, is because they are less dense than the surrounding air. This means that the force of gravity acting on the balloon is not enough to overcome the buoyant force of the air pushing up on the balloon. As a result, the balloon floats and does not accelerate towards the ground at 9.8m/s/s.

2. How does the density of the balloon affect its falling rate?

The density of the balloon plays a crucial role in determining its falling rate. Balloons filled with air are less dense than the surrounding air, which results in a net upward force called buoyancy. This buoyant force counteracts the force of gravity, slowing down the balloon's rate of descent. In general, the less dense an object is, the slower it will fall.

3. What happens if a balloon filled with air is dropped in a vacuum?

If a balloon filled with air is dropped in a vacuum, it will fall at a rate of 9.8m/s/s, just like any other object. This is because there is no air resistance or buoyant force acting on the balloon in a vacuum, so the only force acting on it is gravity. The balloon will accelerate towards the ground at the same rate as any other object, regardless of its density.

4. Can a balloon filled with air ever fall at 9.8m/s/s?

Yes, a balloon filled with air can fall at 9.8m/s/s if certain conditions are met. For example, if the balloon is punctured or deflated so that it is no longer buoyant, it will fall at the same rate as any other object. Additionally, if the balloon is dropped in a vacuum, as mentioned earlier, it will also fall at 9.8m/s/s.

5. Why do helium balloons fall slower than air-filled balloons?

Helium balloons fall slower than air-filled balloons because helium is less dense than air. This means that the buoyant force acting on a helium balloon is greater than that of an air-filled balloon, resulting in a slower falling rate. Additionally, helium is a gas with a lower molecular weight than air, so it is less affected by air resistance, further contributing to its slower fall.