Why do those two terms add here?

• I
  • Thread starter Emilie.Jung
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the conversation discusses the expression for the metric in a complex manifold, which is given by two equations (1) and (2). The question is raised about the presence of a "2" in the first term of equation (2), which appears to be the sum of two terms involving complex metrics. The speaker admits to not being familiar with the notation for complex metrics and suggests discussing it in another forum.
Emilie.Jung
In complex manifold, one writes

$$ds^2=g_{ab}dz^adz^b\hspace{3cm}(1)$$
$$ds^2=2g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}+g_{\alpha\beta}dz^{\alpha\beta}dz^{\alpha}dz^{\beta}+g_{\bar{\alpha}\bar{\beta}}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\alpha}}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}\hspace{3cm}(2)$$

My question is why is there a "2" in the first term? Looks like two terms added up there but how come?

Physics news on Phys.org
When it comes to metrics, I only know about real manifolds, but I would guess that the first term is a simplification of

$$
g_{\alpha\bar{\beta}}dz^{\alpha}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\beta}}+
g_{\bar{\alpha}\beta}d\bar{z}^{\bar{\alpha}}dz^\beta
$$

I don't know if that's equivalent to what's written, as I don't know the notation for complex metrics.

I maybe should then move this post to another section @andrewkirk

Thread closed, new thread will be reposted in another subforum.

Related to Why do those two terms add here?

1. Why is addition commutative?

Addition is commutative because the order in which two numbers are added does not affect the result. This means that a + b = b + a, regardless of the specific values of a and b.

2. How does the associative property work in addition?

The associative property states that when adding three or more numbers, the grouping of the numbers does not affect the result. This means that (a + b) + c = a + (b + c), regardless of the specific values of a, b, and c.

3. Why do negative numbers "cancel out" when added?

Negative numbers "cancel out" when added because they have opposite signs and equal magnitudes. When a positive and negative number are added, their magnitudes are subtracted and the sign of the larger number is kept.

4. How is addition related to the number line?

Addition on a number line can be visualized by starting at a given number and moving a certain number of units to the right (for positive values) or left (for negative values). The result is the sum of the two numbers.

5. What is the role of the identity element in addition?

The identity element in addition is 0. This means that any number added to 0 will result in the original number. In other words, 0 is the "neutral" element in addition.