Why does expectation values are always nonnegative?

In summary, expectation values are always nonnegative because they represent the average or expected outcome of a random variable. Since probabilities are always between 0 and 1, the product of a probability and a nonnegative value will also always result in a nonnegative value. This property of expectation values is important in many mathematical and statistical applications, such as in calculating expected returns in finance or estimating values in decision-making processes. Furthermore, the nonnegativity of expectation values is a fundamental principle in probability theory and is a key component in understanding and analyzing random events and outcomes.
zhdx
Why does the expectation values of some operators, such as 'number' operator ##a^\dagger a## and atomic population operator ##\sigma^\dagger\sigma##, are always nonnegative? Can we prove this from a mathematical point? For example, are these operators positive semidefinite?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zhdx said:
Why does the expectation values of some operators, such as 'number' operator $a^{\dag}a$ and atomic population operator $\sigma^{\dag}\sigma$, are always nonnegative? Can we prove this from a mathematical point?

Its because the outcome of the observation is a number so obviously is always positive.

If you are talking about the number operator of the harmonic oscillator yes you can prove that as any text will explain eg:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_harmonic_oscillator

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Its because the outcome of the observation is a number so obviously is always positive.

If you are talking about the number operator of the harmonic oscillator yes you can prove that as any text will explain eg:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_harmonic_oscillator

Thanks
Bill
Thank you for your reply. It does so that the obervation result is nonnegative. I just want to find a mathematical proof.

zhdx said:
Thank you for your reply. It does so that the obervation result is nonnegative. I just want to find a mathematical proof.

Did you see the proof in the case of the harmonic oscillator?

Its the basis of similar operators in QFT.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Did you see the proof in the case of the harmonic oscillator?

Its the basis of similar operators in QFT.

Thanks
Bill
Thanks. I've read the proof for this specific case. What I mean is a more general case. For example, the operator ##(a^\dagger)^2 a^2 \sigma^\dagger\sigma## for a coupled cavity-atom system. Is the expectation for this operator always nonnegative for any state (include the mixed state)?

Last edited:
A measurement cannot give a negative result, so the expectation value has to be positive - otherwise you made a mistake with the calculations or the operator definition.

mfb said:
A measurement cannot give a negative result, so the expectation value has to be positive - otherwise you made a mistake with the calculations or the operator definition.
Thanks for your reply. The measurement results of many operators can be negative. For example, the position and the momentum of a particle.

Last edited:
zhdx said:
Thanks! Can this proof be generalized to the positive semidefinite case? That is, if all eigenvalues are non-negative, then the matrix is positive semidefinite.
I don't know if the proof can be generalized because I haven't looked into it in detail but the wikipedia article says that the statement is true at least for Hermitean matrices. See this section.

Last edited:
The proof for operators of the form ##A^\dagger A## is very easy. For all state vectors ##x##, we have
$$\langle x,A^\dagger Ax\rangle =\langle A^{\dagger\dagger}x,Ax\rangle =\langle Ax,Ax\rangle\geq 0.$$
The requirement that ##\langle x,x\rangle\geq 0## for all ##x## is part of the definition of "inner product", and therefore part of the definition of "Hilbert space".

Likes Demystifier, Truecrimson, zhdx and 1 other person
kith said:
I don't know if the proof can be generalized because I haven't looked into it in detail but the wikipedia article says that the statement is true at least for Hermitean matrices. See this section.

All semidefinite matrices are Hermitian.

Likes kith
Fredrik said:
The proof for operators of the form ##A^\dagger A## is very easy. For all state vectors ##x##, we have
$$\langle x,A^\dagger Ax\rangle =\langle A^{\dagger\dagger}x,Ax\rangle =\langle Ax,Ax\rangle\geq 0.$$

And there is an interesting converse too. If for all ##x##, we have ##\langle x,Bx\rangle \geq 0##, then there is an operator ##A## such that ##B = A^\dagger A##. And all of this is equivalent tfor Hermitian operators) with saying that the spectrum of ##B## (thus if I understand QM well: the set of all outcomes) is nonnegative.

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier
micromass said:
And there is an interesting converse too. If for all ##x##, we have ##\langle x,Bx\rangle \geq 0##, then there is an operator ##A## such that ##B = A^\dagger A##. And all of this is equivalent with saying that the spectrum of ##B## (thus if I understand QM well: the set of all outcomes) is nonnegative.
Thanks you! Can you help me with the proof of the theorem you mentioned?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Demystifier and zhdx
Last edited by a moderator:
zhdx said:
Thank you very much! Can we say that the operator of the form ##A^\dagger A## is a positive semidefinite operator?

Yes.

Likes zhdx
zhdx said:
Thanks for your reply. The measurement results of many operators can be negative. For example, the position and the momentum of a particle.
I don't understand this question. Why should the expectation value of a position or momentum (vector component) be positive definite? It's of course not and there's no reason why it should!

Likes bhobba
vanhees71 said:
I don't understand this question. Why should the expectation value of a position or momentum (vector component) be positive definite? It's of course not and there's no reason why it should!
The position and momentum are not positive definite. So the expectation of them can be positive, zero or negative. Similar observable includes the energy, which is dependent on the zero point we choose. However, the operator of the form ##A^\dagger A##, such as 'number' operator ##a^\dagger a##, is positive semidefinite. So the expectation values are always nonnegative. This is also a physically reasonable result.

Last edited:
zhdx said:
The position and momentum are not positive definite. So the expectation of them can be positive, zero or negative. Similar observable include the energy, which is dependent on the zero point we choose. However, the operator of the form ##A^\dagger A##, such as 'number' operator ##a^\dagger a##, is positive semidefinite. So the expectation values are always nonnegative. This is also a physically reasonable result.

Then I fail to understand your question - you have answered it yourself.

Thanks
Bill

then what about the expectation value of energy in second excited state?(it is negative)

rjshscs11 said:
then what about the expectation value of energy in second excited state?(it is negative)

No, it isn't. It's 5/2 hbar omega.

But energy of H-atom is given by this relation = - 13.6/n^2

Relative to an arbitrary choice of zero. You can choose the ground state to be zero, for example, then no negative energies occur.

The original question was about operators that don't have this ambiguity.

Related to Why does expectation values are always nonnegative?

1. Why are expectation values always nonnegative?

The non-negativity of expectation values is a fundamental property of probability theory. It is based on the idea that the expected value of a random variable should represent a typical or average outcome of a large number of experiments. Since negative values cannot occur in real-world measurements, the expectation value must also be nonnegative.

2. Can expectation values ever be negative?

No, expectation values cannot be negative. This is because they are calculated by multiplying the possible outcomes of a random variable by their respective probabilities and summing them together. Since probabilities are always nonnegative, the resulting expectation value will also be nonnegative.

3. Is there a mathematical proof for the non-negativity of expectation values?

Yes, there is a mathematical proof for the non-negativity of expectation values. It is based on the properties of probability distributions, which must always sum to 1 and have nonnegative probabilities. By definition, the expectation value is the sum of the possible outcomes multiplied by their probabilities, ensuring that the final result will always be nonnegative.

4. Are there any exceptions to the non-negativity of expectation values?

In most cases, the non-negativity of expectation values holds true. However, there are a few exceptions, such as when dealing with complex numbers or when using a different definition of expectation value. In these cases, the expectation value may be a complex number or have a negative value, but this is not common in most scientific applications.

5. How does the non-negativity of expectation values relate to real-world measurements?

The non-negativity of expectation values is directly related to real-world measurements. In scientific experiments, we are often interested in finding the expected value of a physical quantity, such as the position or energy of a particle. Since these values cannot be negative in real life, the expectation value must also be nonnegative. This helps ensure that our theoretical models accurately reflect the physical world.