Why is maximum orbital acceleration greatest at periapsis?

In summary, The question is why the magnitude of acceleration is greatest at periapsis and the confusion is due to the presence of both tangential and centripetal acceleration at other points. The professor's hint is to look at the maximum forces, which the person still doesn't understand.
myuugen
I was working on some side problems and came across one that confused me. Why is the magnitude of acceleration greatest at periapsis? I know that the a there is only centripetal a at that point. But if we look at another point, say theta = 90, there is both tangental and centripetal acceleration. How do we know the magnitude of accel won't be greater here? At this point, tangential accel should be a max and centripetal will be a min.

My professor gave me a hint. Look at max forces...I still don't get it.

Thanks in advance.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
hi myuugen! :smile:

hint: F = ma :wink:

Related to Why is maximum orbital acceleration greatest at periapsis?

1. What is maximum orbital acceleration?

Maximum orbital acceleration refers to the maximum rate at which an object can change its velocity while orbiting around a planet or other celestial body. It is a measure of the force acting on an object in orbit.

2. How is maximum orbital acceleration calculated?

Maximum orbital acceleration is calculated using the equation a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the orbit. This formula is derived from Newton's second law of motion.

3. What factors affect maximum orbital acceleration?

The factors that affect maximum orbital acceleration include the mass and velocity of the object in orbit, as well as the radius of the orbit and the mass of the body being orbited.

4. Can maximum orbital acceleration be exceeded?

No, maximum orbital acceleration cannot be exceeded as it is determined by the physical properties of the object and the gravitational force acting on it. If an object were to experience a higher acceleration, it would leave its orbit and enter a different trajectory.

5. How does maximum orbital acceleration impact space travel?

Maximum orbital acceleration is an important consideration for space travel as it determines the amount of force needed to change the velocity of a spacecraft in orbit. This can impact the amount of fuel and energy required for maneuvers and can also affect the design and safety of spacecraft.