Why is the subgroup H not a Lie Group under the Subspace Topology?

• I
  • Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, the conversation discusses an example on a Wikipedia page that demonstrates a group which is not a Lie group. The example involves working with the topology of ##\mathbb{T}^2## and shows that a map from ##\mathbb{R}^m## would not be continuous. This example assumes a specific subspace topology and differentiable structure, which may not hold if a different topology is chosen. The conversation also touches on the concept of differentiable structure and how it is affected by the choice of topology.
kent davidge
I was reading a Wikipedia page where it's given an example of a group that's not a Lie Group. Here's the page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie_group ; refer to "Counterexample".

If we work with the topology of ##\mathbb{T}^2## it seems obvious that a map from some ##\mathbb{R}^m## would not be continuous, as a point of ##H## would have as its neighbour a point of ##\mathbb{T}^2## which is not a point of ##H##. Ok... But Wikipedia says that ##H## is not a Lie group (though it's a group) given the Subspace Topology.

Now imagine that ##\mathbb{T}^2## is given the trivial topology. Then ##H## would have the Subspace Topology ##\{H, \emptyset \}##. It seems obvious that a homeomorphism from ##\mathbb{R}## to ##H## can be carried out. So why ##H## is not a Lie Group given the Subspace Topology?

Physics news on Phys.org
The example assumes the natural from the embedding in ##\mathbb{R}^3## induced subspace topology, not any subspace topology. Also the differentiable structure on either ##\mathbb{T}^2## or ##H## might become a bit of a problem with the trivial topology. I haven't checked whether there is a trivial solution to the problem, but anyway, it's not part of the example meant.

fresh_42 said:
The example assumes the natural from the embedding in ##\mathbb{R}^3## induced subspace topology
Did you mean ##\mathbb{R}^2##? And how do you notice that from the text?
fresh_42 said:
might become a bit of a problem with the trivial topology
Could you provide me with a link or give me an example of how a choice of topology can dramatically affect the differentiable structure?

kent davidge said:
Did you mean ##\mathbb{R}^2##?
No, I meant ##\mathbb{R}^3## but the plane should be fine, too.
And how do you notice that from the text?
  • It is the natural choice, and all others would have been mentioned.
  • From the attached image.
  • From the description in the text, as it works with it.
  • From the condition that ##a## is irrational, which guarantees distances.
Could you provide me with a link or give me an example of how a choice of topology can dramatically affect the differentiable structure?
I only know of definitions which require Hausdorff, and in one text even a countable basis, but this is for convenience. So just choose a non Hausdorff space. Or more extremely: a differentiable (analytic) structure to be a differentiable (analytic) manifold requires local homeomorphisms to Euclidean spaces. So with a discrete topology I can't imagine how this will get something differentiable. And without being a manifold, how should differentiability even be defined?

Got it. Thanks.

Related to Why is the subgroup H not a Lie Group under the Subspace Topology?

1. What is a subgroup in a scientific context?

A subgroup in a scientific context refers to a smaller subset within a larger group that shares similar characteristics or traits. This subgroup can be further studied and analyzed to gain a better understanding of the larger group as a whole.

2. How is a subgroup identified and defined in a scientific study?

A subgroup can be identified and defined by certain criteria or characteristics that are used to classify individuals or data points within the larger group. This can be done through statistical analysis, observation, or other methods depending on the specific study.

3. Why is it important to consider subgroups in scientific research?

Examining subgroups allows for a more in-depth analysis and understanding of the larger group and can uncover patterns or differences that may not be evident when looking at the group as a whole. It also allows for more targeted and specific conclusions or recommendations to be made.

4. What are some potential challenges in studying subgroups in scientific research?

One challenge is ensuring that the subgroup is representative of the larger group and that the results can be applied to the entire population. Additionally, subgroup analysis can be time-consuming and may require a larger sample size to ensure statistical significance.

5. How can subgroup analysis be used in real-world applications?

Subgroup analysis can be used in various fields such as medicine, psychology, and sociology to better understand and address the needs of specific populations. For example, studying subgroups within a patient population can help identify risk factors or treatment efficacy for certain diseases or conditions.