Will You Be Watching the Perseid Meteor Shower?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter ProfuselyQuarky
  • Start date
  • Featured
In summary: Whilst in the States, I saw an amazing Perseid shower. It was a very slow one, and it looked like it lasted for at least a second.
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
The Perseid meteor shower will be at it's peak next Friday (August 12)! They'll be seen best in the Northern Hemisphere and mid-southern latitudes around 1:00 am.

I've got two things to do before the 12th:
1) Convince the rest of my folks that this is more exciting that sleeping and
2) Convince them that driving a couple hours to see the meteor shower is worth it.

Anybody going to go out and see them? :smile:

Likes Dembadon, Greg Bernhardt, Fervent Freyja and 3 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Don't forget to check the viewing quality of your site and the weather.

The best would probably be a state or federal park where light pollution is at a minimum.

In Texas, some folks will go to the McDonald Observatory (https://mcdonaldobservatory.org/) which has some events planned.

One astronomer suggests getting away from city lights because apparently the moon will be bright and the combination will obscure the viewing of all but the brightest meteors.

https://mcdonaldobservatory.org/perseid-meteors

Likes 1oldman2 and ProfuselyQuarky
Fortunately, for my area, the weather forecast says it will be clear :approve:. Light pollution here is pretty bad, so venturing out to a national park around here would be necessary, but that just makes it even better.

Likes 1oldman2
Just tell your parents not to feed the lions, or tigers or bears okay?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Anybody going to go out and see them? :smile:
I'll be there for sure, the natives here are very in tune with this stuff and host viewing parties.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
jedishrfu said:
lions, or tigers or bears okay?
Oh my... :smile:

1oldman2 said:
I'll be there for sure, the natives here are very in tune with this stuff and host viewing parties.
Lucky guy, you live in Montana! If it's the same Montana I know, you're going to get a good view :)

Likes 1oldman2
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Lucky guy, you live in Montana! If it's the same Montana I know, you're going to get a good view :)
Flathead lake ain't to bad of a place to hang out, the viewing will be "top notch" as long as the weather stays good. :thumbup:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
A group of organizations are hosting a party here at a state park about 25 miles from the city center.
I've never been to one, but this looks like it might be a good year for it.

OMSI Perseid Meteor Shower Watch Star Party
Friday, August 12, 2016
9:00pm - 11:59pm​

The weather forecast, so far, looks favorable.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
They'll be seen best in the Northern Hemisphere and mid-southern latitudes around 1:00 am.
... till dawn

will be out again this year all going well ... saw good numbers / hour last year ( ~25 / hr) from just outside the northern suburbs of Sydney, Oz
Perseus will be just on the NNE horizon for me, but many of the meteors will still streak across the sky originating from that directionDave

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky said:
2) Convince them that driving a couple hours to see the meteor shower is worth it.
Commiserations, my friend.
That takes me back to the time when we were holidaying in France during the last Total Eclipse, visible in the UK and Europe. We needed to drive North for a couple of hours to get to Paris in order to see it. The family just would not get a move on and we actually MISSED the totality because of that. I was in a foul mood for the rest of the holiday and the idiots couldn't even understand why. Families - who'd have 'em?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur, 1oldman2 and OmCheeto
1oldman2 said:
Flathead lake ain't to bad of a place to hang out, the viewing will be "top notch" as long as the weather stays good. :thumbup:

Flathead is a great spot, but parking isn't the best.
There's about 20 miles down the west side of the lake with only a two-lane road dissecting a hillside and Flathead lake.
Maybe a boat?

Likes 1oldman2
Seeing is not too good here at the moment but I have seen a 'shower' of two in about twenty minutes, here in Essex UK. The other night I saw a fantastic one that was slow and seemed to last for at least a second. I guess I am only seeing the tip of the iceberg (to stretch an analogy) because of the haze.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
am hoping early am Friday will be clear, want to sleep for the evening then get up and travel to site arriving around 1 am
( IF weather is clear... forecast looks OK)

will have 2 cameras pointing in opposite directions one for nthrn and one for sthrn halves of the sky
and maybe this year will capture more than last yearDave

Likes ProfuselyQuarky, 1oldman2 and sophiecentaur
Good luck with that matey.

Likes davenn

the weather has been crap over the last 2 weeks and this is the synoptic map for my location
for Friday

loc.JPG
there's no point being on location well before 1 am as the moon doesn't set till about 1 am

Dave

davenn said:
the weather has been crap over the last 2 weeks
Same here. The mornings have been cloudy, but then it clears up at around noon up into evening. Earth is teasing. I never trusted weather forecasts, anyways.
davenn said:
will have 2 cameras pointing in opposite directions one for nthrn and one for sthrn halves of the sky
and maybe this year will capture more than last year
If you get anything nice, post some pics if it's not too much trouble, okay? :smile:

Likes davenn
If the sky is clear I'll make the 45min drive outside the city at midnight to see them :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
I sat out in my backyard for a while last night, and, from the middle of a small city (Prince George BC) with high clouds in the sky, I saw four. One was very bright, and left a visible trail. I remember in high school, a friend and I sat out in a field on his farm, and we saw a very good Perseids display. In 2002, when I lived in the US Virgin islands, I saw an insane Leonids meteor storm,

"About every 33 years, the Leonids can produce a storm of meteors in certain locations of Earth. NASA defines one of these storms as a situation in which meteors fall at a rate of at least 1,000 an hour, or about 16 or 17 every minute. The last one of these storms occurred in 2002, but a jaw-dropping one happened in 1966."

In an interview on CBC radio, my friend in Saint John New Brunswick explains what meteors and the Perseids are and how to observe them,

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2693088505

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
well that was almost a total waste of time !
was out in the freezing cold 5C conditions from 1 am till 5 am this morning

was seeing a good few Aquarids between 1 and 3 am totalled around 22 ( that was the saving grace for the observations
else it would have been a writeoff
saw 2 Persieds between 4 and 5 am ... don't know what happened to them all ??
last year was seeing an avg of ~ 25 / hr with the peak in activity of 35 / hr for one particular hr period

this year diddly squat :frown:Dave

Commiserations. No dice here, either. Clouds. As ever in UK.

Likes davenn
davenn said:
this year diddly squat :frown:
Early evening here, I'll watch and see how the northern hemisphere does in my area. (clouds permitting) :cool:

Likes davenn
1oldman2 said:
Early evening here, I'll watch and see how the northern hemisphere does in my area. (clouds permitting) :cool:

just remember, meteors are always better after midnite

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and 1oldman2
PerseidsRadiant_Goldpaint_960_annotated.jpg

From APOD. :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and Bystander
And now, of all times it started raining at sunset ... <grrrrr\>

It's only 7:15 pm here. We're going out to the desert at around midnight. Fingers crossed!

Likes 1oldman2 and Greg Bernhardt
Sorry about the disappointment you guys had. Right now, the skies are clear.

Hoping these skies will clear some more! Excited! :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Watched from about 10:30pm to 11:00pm local time in my back garden near Southampton in the south of England, UK. No clouds, but sky was somewhat hazy brown because this is a densely populated area, and view is limited by nearby trees and houses. Saw about 12 Perseids, mostly fast and fleeting but a couple brighter and more lasting, and one meteor going the other way. Included one bunch of 4 within a few seconds of one another, in general area of radiant, and another pair within seconds of each other near Cassiopeia. Also saw many satellites and aircraft, whose blinking lights are very annoying when I'm trying to spot Perseids.